Ribbing help!

Okay I’m making a pair of wool shorties. The ribbing at the waist doesn’t look like ribbing at all? I’m k2 p2 and making sure I knit the knits and purling the purls but it doesn’t look like ribbing at all! There’s no “flat” area’s between the bumpy rows…any suggestions?

Can you post a picture of your work? When working your ribbing, you will knit the “smooth” stitches and purl the “bumps”. Basically, whatever you knit in the previous row will be purled in the current row, and vice versa. The wording in some patterns tends to be ambiguous {sp??} for various instructions. When a pattern tells you to knit the knits and purl the purls for a ribbing, that would mean to knit the knits and purl the purls AS THEY FACE YOU.

P.S. I hope this makes sense… I haven’t slept yet, and I might be rambling!

Another thought…how much have you done? If you’ve only done a couple rows keep going. It actually takes several rows before it truly looks ribbed. I’ve noticed that with socks and hats.

Crud. I was doing this…K2, p2, k2, p2 etc. Then the next row I would p2, k2, p2, k2
OOPS!! Thanks ladies!!!

One easy way to get ribbing is to remember that if you end with a knit, start with a purl, and vice versa.