Ribbing doesn't look like ribbing

I’m working on this pattern http://knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/hats/family-cap.html

I’m doing k1, p1 rib, but it doesn’t look like ribbing. I know there was 1 row that I was off a stitch, but it should mostly look like ribbing from the other rows. I’m 4-5 rows into the project. The k1, p1 means that I alternate knit and purl by stitch? Not by row around because that won’t create a vertical ribbing. I’m using size 7 needles and Red Heart Designer Sport yarn.

Without seeing your work, it’s hard to say. On this page if you scroll down you’ll find videos for ribbing and for seed stitch. If you alternate k and p but don’t keep in pattern for ribbing you can end up with seed stitch.

Can you post a picture of your ribbing? There’s a link in my signature for how to and appropriate sizes.

Yes, 1x1 rib should be k1, p1. You knit the knits and purl the purls as you see them. Could you be doing one of the stitches incorrectly? It does take several rows to look good. I suggest going a few more rows.

This happens sometimes. You should see nice colomns of ribbing. If not, you may need to rip back to take out the stitches or row that is inccrrect. Rather than thinking about the k1p1 pattern, it will help to look at the stitches on the left needle. When you see a V, knit it and when you see a loop, purl it.

Usually I have to give it around two inches for the stitches to pull in & make columns.

The picture is too big to attach, so I changed my avatar to the picture of what I have done so far. I have this feeling though that I have buggered it somewhere and I’m going to have to rip it out and start over…

The picture is too tiny to be sure but it looks like seed stitch to me. You might check the videos I linked to earlier if you haven’t already. Also, Jan’s sig has a link re posting photos and I think there’s something about resizing there.

Looking at the video, it does look like the seed stitch. I have ripped it out and cast on to begin again! Practice makes perfect.

Thank you all for your help, I’m sure I will be asking for more in the future!

ETA: I’m 4 rows in and it already looks better! I think before I wasn’t really watching my stitches and ended up purling more of my knits and knitting more of my purls instead of knitting the knits and purling the purls.

You might be doing k1 p1 on an odd number of stitches on both rows and that is giving you seed stitch. To get ribbing over any number of stitches, after the first row, when you see a knit stitch knit it, if the next stitch is a purl, purl it. To identify which is which, take a look at the pictures and videos in this thread.

If you’re knitting in the round you just knit the knits and purl the purls. You do the same thing when knitting flat, but if you have an odd number of stitches it can throw you off if you do t learn what the stitches look like

Here’s a sample.