Ribbing decrease question

Hello y’all. Im working a pattern that calls for k2tog or p2tog on ribbing. That part is easy. The part Im having a problem is, is that after the decrease a stitch that was previously a knit has become a purl and vice versa. So its causing my edges to go funny. I wanna keep in the pattern of the rib but then that puts two purls together or two knits together when it should be k,p or p,k. So in order to keep things in order should I just k,p even though its now a p,p? Its a knit 1 purl 1 pattern. I hope this question isnt worded to confusing.

If it’s a hat you can dec on every other p2, which makes k2, p2, k2, p1… then then next dec p2 tog which gives you k2, p1, k2, p1. The next dec row, do every other k2 = k2, p1, k1, p1 then finally k2tog ending up with k1, p1.

If it’s not a hat, how many stitches do you need to dec?

Its a jacket and they have you decrease on the 47th row the 58th row and the 70th row and the 82nd row. Out of 82 rows. Which takes you from 125 stitches to 117 stitches. The decrease is K1
k2tog, rib to last 3 st, ssk k1 on the 47th row. All the other decreases are k1, p2tog, rib to last 3 sts p2tog, k1. You would think they would figure this into the pattern. Maybe Im doing it wrong?

I would just follow the instructions, they do make sense even if you have 2 knits or 2 purls together and won’t be so noticeable since they’re at the edge which will get seamed.

Yeah I had done it all the way through and was working even at that point but on the side it just looked so wonky. So I started over lol. Im trying to let go of this insanity. Nobody would have noticed. Oh well, this time Im gonna press on. Im still not sure what the best course of action would be if I had 2 purls or two knits together. Should I just continue to knit the knits and purl the purls or should I just try to get it back into the k1, p1 pattern by knitting that purl or purling that knit? Sorry if Im being dense about this!

Another thing to try is to do the dec on the edge stitch instead of 1 st in. Use ssk, k2tog or p2tog depending on what the 2nd stitch is.

Thanks Suzee for working on this with me! I probably shouldnt put this much thought into it since its the edge but I appreciate you humoring me lol. I think I will try your suggestion of doing the dec on the edge stitch that way I will retain my sanity.

Sanity’s always a good idea. Of course we’re talking knitting here, so… :smiley:

If you hated how it looked, then that is MORE than enough reason to start over (unless it’s a gift for someone who loved how it looked, but that’s beside the point).

I, too, would think decreasing on the last stitch would be much less noticeable, but I wouldn’t suggest forcing the stitches back into rib. If a knit suddenly switched over to a purl, I think I would notice that a lot more than having two purls next to each other on the edge.

If you’re still not sure, why not knit up a little swatch, and try different decreases, to see what you think looks best?

Yeah I think what was making it look weird was me forcing it back into the rib pattern. Ive started over and Im happier. I had done over 80 rows though lol. Mistakes bother me though. Thanks again yall