Ribbed Shrug Erika Knight Question

I spotted a shrug on Ravelry called Ribbed Shurg by Erika Knight. I am just over the sizing allowances. Could I add on the extra stitches as I see it goes I think in changes of 6 stitches. Or, would I be better using a size larger needle and hope for the best?

You can try a larger needle first, if your gauge is a bit bigger then you don’t have to adjust the stitch number.

Thanks, I tend to knit loose anyway. I usually have to go down a size needle to make guage

I have been looking at the reviews of this shrug and wonder if anyone would have approximate yardage. It looks like a large skein
(5) ounces should do it.
Am I correct that you just try any yarn and try to get guage by adjusting needle size? I really like to work with a 4 ply yarn as that allows for larger needles.

I appreciate all of your helpful hints for us who are not really acquainted with all the different yarns etc.

You can’t always use ‘just any yarn’ and get gauge by using a different size needle. A bulky yarn subbed for a dk can be knit on size 6s, but you won’t get anywhere close to the same gauge as a dk on size 6s. Sometimes you can knit a thinner yarn on larger needles and get the gauge, but it’s going to be looser and possibly too holes. So there are limits, but in general, you can sub a similar yarn and use whatever needle size will give you gauge and a fabric you like.

When you say 4 ply yarn, is that handspun, 4 ply worsted or what? Australia and NZ use ply as a weight and their 4 ply would be fingering weight for us. See this page for yarn weights and tension explanations.

I was thinking worsted.