Rib Patterns uneven # of Stitches

I am making a pair of baby booties. I cast on 5 stitches and increase until I have 13. Here is part of pattern:
Row 1: Kfb, p1, k1, p1, kfb.
Row 2: Kfb, (p1, k1) to last two stitches, p1, kfb.
Repeat row 2 until there are 13 (15, 17) sts.
Maintaining rib pattern, work 20 (20, 22) rows.

So how do you maintain a rib pattern with an uneven amount of stitches? It’s not looking right…

When you knit F and B-then come back to them on next row, should those two stitches be knit or one knit and one purl. I am following what the stitches look like to establish a pattern but after third attempt, it is not looking balanced. It looks like I have 4 purl stitches at start of row. I know this is obvious but I can’t see it.

Thanks!

To keep sts in a rib pattern, after the first rows knit the sts that look like knits and purl the ones that look like purls on every row as you come to them. If you’re not sure which is which, check out the videos and pictures in this thread.

When you knit stitches into an increase (a KFB), you probably won’t be able to see which stitch should be used. What I do if I get lost, is go back a few stitches and get the rhythm down again. If the increase is the first stitches of a row, look at the stitches on the other side of the increase and then work backwards to determine what should be your starting stitch.

You need an uneven number of sts for this pattern. Just repeat row 2 on every row.
Row 2: Kfb, (p1, k1) to last two stitches, p1, kfb.
Every row starts out kfb and the next st will always be a purl st.

Got it. Thanks!