Rib pattern questions

I posted this on the Pattern Central thread, but thought I might post it here, as well…

I’m attempting this pattern and am confused about the rib pattern:
Row 1: k2 (p2, k2) p2 (k2, p2) to last 2 sts, k2 (p2, k2)
Row 2: p2 (k2, p2) k2 (p2, k2) to last 2 sts, p2 (k2, p2)
These two rows set the rib pattern.

*ETA: I’m confused specifically about what k2 (p2, k2) and what p2 (k2, p2) means, because it seems like k2 (p2, k2) is actually 4 stitches, not 2. Oof!

Also, what stitch type should I use to increase 1 and decrease 1 in a rib pattern? TIA

What size are you making? The figs in the parentheses are for the M and L. Select the fig that applies to your sz, highlight or circle them and only do those sts. If, for example, you were doing S, in R1 you’d K2, *P2 to last 2 sts, K2. But for M, in R1 you’d do P2, *K2 to last 2 sts, P2. (In R2, those are rev to form the rib.)

I’d probably do the M1 inc but you might want to try a few and see which you like best.

cam

Thank you! So to make sure I understand, if I am making this shrug in Large, for Row 1 I would k2, *p2 last 2 stitches, then end with a k2, and for Row 2 I would p2, *k2 to last 2 stitches, then end with a p2?

I guess I’m trying to understand the repeated starred instructions. The way I read Row 1 is k2, p2, and ending on a k2, and Row 2 is p2, k2, ending on a p2. Am I correct?

Yep, you got it! By marking just your pattern info it’s easier to ignore figs for other sizes.

cam

Row 1: k2 (p2, [B]k2[/B]) p2 (k2, [B]p2[/B]) to last 2 sts, k2 (p2, [B]k2[/B])

Doing this helps.

cam

OK, it seems as though I’m still confused, as I’ve just come to the end of the first row…

k2, *p2, k2: does this mean to knit two, purl two until the last two stitches, then knit two? Or does it mean to repeat the knit two, purl two until the last two stitches and knit two? The latter doesn’t come out right for a CO of 42 stitches to k2, p2, and end up on a k2 (at least for me…I’ll re-check my work). – Never mind, I think that the latter does actually work.

In your orig post you have the first * in the wrong position. (I should’ve caught that earlier.)

Should read as

Row 1: [COLOR=“Red”][/COLOR]k2 (p2, k2), p2 (k2, p2)[COLOR=“Red”] [/COLOR]to last 2 sts, k2 (p2, k2)

So rep K2, P2 to end and then K2.

cam

Another question from the same pattern: the instructions say to Dec 1 st at the end of next row and every following 3rd row until 32 sts remain. In keeping with the k2 p2 k2 pattern, would I *(k2, p2), k2tog for the first decrease, then after 2 more rows, would I *(p2, k2), p2tog?

Thanks so much for all your help.

I don’t like to work incs/decs in the edge sts [B]IF[/B] the inc/dec impacts the st patt (or my ability to seam). In this case you might be okay to just dec ‘in pattern.’ If first/last 2 sts are K, K2tog, or P, P2tog, as you noted. BUT, the next time you go to make a dec on that edge, you’ll have one st in the K or P and then a P2 or K2 following. Then you’ll need to make the decision to either K2tog or P2tog…whichever is more in keeping with the patt.

Just make sure you’re working the dec at [B]each end[/B] per the patt. Not just ‘at the end of the next row’ as you posted.

cam

each end of each decrease row. got it. frogging again. good thing I’m still at the beginning of this project!

i sure wish pattern reading was simpler! good thing there are nice folks such as you to help us newbies.

Good luck. Sounds like you’re on the right track.

This pattern is pretty straight forward. Just a matter of paying attn to the details and familiarizing yourself with what they do/don’t say. Gets easier the more you do it.

cam

Hi everyone. I am a beginner knitter and was wondering if anyone out there can tell me how to cast on while knitting. I am working on a pattern that says to cast on 5 sts at the beginning of the next 4 rows. Does this mean to increase.
Thanks

Use a knitted or cable cast on. Instead of a slipknot, you make the first st in the end st on the needle. It’s an increase, but for more than you can make with the regular increase methods.