Rib Knit Kitchener graft

HELP! Someone! Pulling my hair out after 2 weeks on this final step grafting 24 stitches tog! Used a pattern from elann website on their free patterns. ESPRIT CHEMO TURBAN in case anyone wants to see what I’m trying to do. Final instructions say use Kitchener, refer to knitty.com for help. Thing is, I’ve been at this 2 weeks now, read hundreds of sites, blogs and videos. No one seems to have directions for a 4x4 rib kitchener graft. Doesn’t help that I’m visually challenged and need to have the pattern of stitches written out. Anyone???

Thanks in advance. I’m putting that project down for a bit and getting back to the more fun project of a nice lace throw for the summer. And hopefully some of my hair will grow back!:waving:

The Spring 2010 issue of Interweave knits has an artical from TECHknitterabout grafting that should help you out…You should pick it up for needs now and later…and if you dont already have one…just go ahead and get a subscription. The technical articals in each issue will be well worth the subscription price. Not to mention the well written patterns and theres coupon codes for online yarn stores … good purchase.

In short…to join RIBBING, go down-up for knitted stitches and up-down for purl stitches.

Here is a post from Amy (site adm) that talks about it.

for some web help…
you can try this…
or this…
or this…
ok i cant find the one i used to learn on…:tap:

this should get you started…:thumbsup:

Good Luck!!!
:knitting:
Melissa

Thanks Lissa for your reply. Yes, I’ve visited those sites and still am running into a no go. Problem is, I just don’t know where the transition actually begins. Have finally figured out that the switch somehow incorporates a kkk or ppp stitch to make the transition and alleviate the hole I was getting at first, but still … ending up with purl stitches on both sides the minute I switch to that section of the rib. One of those posts addressed the problem I had (have) with the stitches not actually matching, due to the fact I am attaching the cast on stitches to the actual rib at the other end. About midweek last week, when I found that one, my hair was sooo happy at not being pulled so hard. :woohoo: What I really need is someone to please write out the actual pattern for me for the first 10 stitches. I think. Not sure I’m thinking at this point tho. :wink: What I’d love to see is something like pk kppk kppk kppk kppk kkk ??? kpkp kpkp etc. If it even goes like that.

BTW, I am rushing/flying out the door to get that issue. And yes, I agree about the mag. Been toying with the idea of being first on the block to get it by subscribing already. You convinced me. TX!:heart:

I believe I actually have this written down at home. I’ll look for it tonight. I don’t have it on my computer here. I’ll let you know tomorrow.

Oh, BLESS you. I finally went back to my local LYS today to see if I could get help (always a dangerous trip for me, and yes, I did of course see some lovely new spring threads I just can’t live without! Actually more expensive than dangerous, come to think of it.) Their response was the same as always. “Sorry, dearie, we don’t know, and our instructor doesn’t give free advice or answer questions.” Grrrrrr. That place grinds me sometimes but they have such nice yarn.

I’ll be waiting for your reply. Thanks so much.

I haven’t forgotten about you. I looked for my chart this morning before I left the house and couldn’t find it. I’ll try again this evening. I’m sure I have it somewhere, gosh darn it.

In any event, I found this link that might help: http://cmeknit.blogspot.com/2006/01/lesson-in-grafting.html

Hey! Look what I found:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=474749

Mom, Thanks for remembering. I have seen both of these and tried both, still doesn’t work out though because the photos don’t tell me when to switch stitches, and when I tried the help from the forum, I think it left a hole when I went from the (on the needle stitches) from knit to purl. Are these the info you were looking for to help me? Or is there more somewhere? Like I said, it would be wonderful if someone would just write it out for me for the first nine stitches. I could work it out from there. Like this:

p, k leave stitches on needle.
stitch 1) kppk
stitch 2) kppk
stitch 3) kppk
This is where I get lost. The fourth stitch on both needles is still a K but I am moving into purl territory. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be kppp or kkkp or something else. Because that’s where the hole always shows up. I actually did it right once at this point, but was so lost I don’t remember what I did, and after that, I ended up with purl graft on both sides. I hope that makes sense.

Okay - I found my chart. This is a chart for 2x2 ribbing with 36 stitches/18 on each needle. I’m going to set it up like this:

kk pp kk pp kk pp kk pp kk
kk pp kk pp kk pp kk pp kk

The top line is the BACK (B) needle (working yarn is coming off of this), the bottom line is the FRONT (F) needle and you work from right to left (I know you know that I’m just trying to be super clear, pardon my OCD :wink: ).

Set up is the same as for straight forward kitchener = Purl into the first FRONT stitch and leave it on the needle, Knit into the first BACK stitch and leave it on the needle.

Working from F needle to B needle as usual, here goes:

F - k sl p
B - p sl k
F - k sl k
B - p sl p
F - p sl k
B - k sl p
F - p sl p
B - k sl k
F - k sl p
B - p sl k
F - k sl k
B - p sl p
F - p sl k
B - k sl p
F - p sl p
B - k sl k
F - k sl p
B - p sl k
F - k sl k
B - p sl p
F - p sl k
B - k sl p
F - p sl p
B - k sl k
F - k sl p
B - p sl k
F - k sl k
B - p sl p
F - p sl k
B - k sl p
F - p sl p
B - k sl k
F - k sl p
B - p sl k
F - knit
B - purl

Tie off. WHEW! Let me know if this works for you.

Uh Oh! - I just reread your original post and you needed this for 4x4 ribbing. Perhaps you can see a pattern in what I’ve written and adjust accordingly. I’ll keep looking too. This won’t be the last time someone needs this.

Here is a link to a pattern (lovely, by the way, I’m going to have to do this one), that gives instructions (sort of) for a 4x4 rib graft. Basically, it says to do the knit stitches as normal and when you come to the purl sections, turn the work inside out and graft the purl sections as you would for the knits. Then turn the work right side out after those stitches and do it all over again. It seems easy enough unless it’s the toe of a sock or the top of a hat, but it can hurt to try. I’d put a lifeline in first.

http://www.elann.com/Commerce.web/Product_freePatternsDetail.aspx?id=118776

Thank you so much, S MoM, :muah: believe I can do it with these instructions!! Going to try soon as I finish the next frustrating project started to get me by till this could be finished. This IS my year to do things I always avoided before and boy, I’ll tell you what, brought it on myself like a landslide!!! This new one, tho, is just a matter of paying attention and being patient. DPNS, 6 stitches even on them, starting with a YO,P1, just that took me about 3 days to get right. Man. Like I said, learning. Will let you know how it worked when I get to it. :knitting: