Revisiting the Professor Sweater

Hi All. Hope you are all enjoying the summer months. I have returned to the above mentioned Sweater after finishing a Basketweave Baby Blanket. Of course with your fine assistance! Now I am up to the collar after finishing both sleeves. Stating to pick up 48 stitches, along right front to neck shaping. So I am thinking that is is just along the front to stop where the neck begins? Still a doubter. Where are you Salmonac? Such great help all the time.

Good for you, you’re almost finished with this really sweet cardigan.

Yup, you’ve got it right. Pick up along that straight front edge before the slant for the neck.

Good Afternoon. I have picked up 178 sts. for-the size I am doing. Now I need to knit 1row, then cut color B and go to the ‘A’color. Then knit 2 rows. That puts me on the buttonhole row on the right side. What is w&t? (Wrap & turn). Have never done this. Also is the w&t right after the bottonholes? Do you do this method every time you come to the short row?

Thank you again!

W&T is wrap and turn, a method for short row shaping by adding extra rows. In this pattern it will add extra rows to the collar at the neck (between markers 1 and 2). By doing a technique like w&t (or German short rows), you avoid holes at the turn. That said, many patterns in garter stitch don’t bother with any such technique but simply have you turn.

After the buttonhole row there is a knit row and then the start of the short rows.

So I have now started my W&T ani am now up to the 2nd marker. Do I W&T here to continue back to the first marker and the a W&T bank again to the 2nd marker, back & forth for 25 rows? Then at the end do I have to ‘pick up the wrap’ on the last row and then bind off? Trying to get through this. Thanks D

Short Row: K to m2, w&t, k to m1, w&t,
*k to 3 before the “gap”, w&t; rep from *
25 (25, 29, 29, 29) more times, k to end, hiding
wraps toward the RS as you reach them.

Work back and forth 25 more times but each time you’ll be working 3 fewer sts in the row (knit to 3 sts before the gap). On the last 2 rows, knit across picking up the wraps as you come to them.
You’re almost there!

Thank you so much. I know I’m almost there, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Thank you for your expertise.