Resizing a pattern

I’m new to knitting, completed a few simple projects, but now I’m trying to make a sweater for my daughter. I need it to be slightly bigger around the chest than the largest size on the pattern. The four sizes on the pattern say the finished size is 18", 20", 22", and 24" around the chest. I need 26" around the chest. The woman at the yarn store told me to use a slightly thicker yarn (worsted weight instead of DK), and slightly bigger needles (US8 instead of US6). When I make my swatch, I get 35 stiches to 4" instead of 22 stiches to 4" like the pattern says. How do I figure out which of the four sizes on the pattern to follow in order to make my project the size I need?

It just dawned on me that I was counting my gauge wrong. Instead of a gauge of 22 stitches = 4", my gauge is 22 stitches = 5". So, this still leaves me wondering which size to follow for the pattern to get the size I need? Will I just make a sweater 1 inch bigger of any size because my gauge is 1 inch bigger?

No your gauge is 1" bigger on the swatch, but times the 26" you need, that’s going to make it aobut 5 or 6 inches larger. So you have 22sts/5", that equals 4.4 sts/inch; times 26" you need to have 114.4 sts around. Does one of the sizes have close to that many stitches on front and back combined? If there’s one that close to that - between 112 to 120 stitches, work in that size, adjust for length of body, sleeves and maybe armhole size.

sue

Sue, thank you very much for your explanation. It makes more sense to me now! I will check my pattern later and find the one with the nearest number of stitches. Thanks again for taking the time to explain it to me!