Remember when

Remember when the most people on this site in one day was about 60?
Today it says the most people in one day is 1023. WOW! This site has grown!

Jackie

:passedout:

When I saw the title I thought of this :teehee:

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]R[B]emember when HIPPIE meant big in the hips[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][/B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And a[B] [B]TRIP[/B] [/B]involved travel, in cars , planes and ships?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When[B][B] POT[/B] [/B]was a vessel for cooking things in[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B] [B]HOOKED[/B] [/B]was what grandmother’s rug might have been?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When [B][B]FIX[/B] [/B]was a verb that meant mend or repair[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]A[B]nd BE IN meant simply existing somewhere?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][/B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When [B][B]NEAT[/B] [/B]meant well-organised, tidy and clean[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And [B][B]GRASS[/B] [/B]was a ground cover, normally green[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When lights and not people were[B] [B]TURNED ON[/B] [/B]and off[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And the[B] [B]PILL[/B] [/B]might have been what you took for a cough![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B][B] CAMP[/B] [/B]meant to quarter out-doors in a tent[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And [B][B]PO[/B]P [/B]was the way that the weasel went? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When[B] [B]GROOVY[/B] [/B]meant furrowed with channels and hollows,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B] [B]BIRDS[/B] [/B]were winged creatures like[B] [B]FINCHES[/B] [/B]and[B] [B]SWALLOWS?[/B][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][/B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When[B] [B]FUZZ[/B] [/B]was a substance that’s fluffy like lint,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B] [B]BREAD [/B][/B]came from bakeries, not from the mint?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When[B] [B]SQUAR[/B]E [/B]meant a 90-degree angled form[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B] [B]COOL[/B] [/B]was a temperature not quite so warm? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When [B][B]ROLL[/B] [/B]meant a bun, and[B] [B]ROCK[/B] [/B]was a stone,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B] [B]HANG_UP[/B][/B] as something you did to the phone?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When[B] [B]FUZZ[/B] [/B]was a substance that’s fluffy like lint,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B] [B]BREAD [/B][/B]came from bakeries, not from the mint?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When[B] [B]SQUAR[/B]E [/B]meant a 90-degree angled form[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B] [B]COOL[/B] [/B]was a temperature not quite so warm? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When [B][B]ROLL[/B] [/B]meant a bun, and[B] [B]ROCK[/B] [/B]was a stone,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B] [B]HANG_UP[/B][/B] was something you did to a phone?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When[B] [B]JAM[/B] [/B]was conserves that you spread on your bread[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B] [B]CRAZY[/B] [/B]meant barmy, not right in the head?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When[B][B] CAT[/B] [/B]was a feline - a kitten grownup[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B] [B]TEA[/B] [/B]was a liquid you drank from a cup?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When[B] [B]SWINGER[/B] [/B]was someone who swung in a swing[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B] PAD[/B] was [B]a soft sort of cushiony thing?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][/B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When[B] [B]WAY OUT[/B] [/B]meant distant and far, far away?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]A[B]nd a man couldn’t sue you for calling him GAY[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][/B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When [B]DIG [/B]meant to shovel and spade in the dirt[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B][B] PUT-ON[/B] [/B]was something you did with a shirt?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]When[B][B] TOUGH[/B] [/B]described meat too unyielding to chew[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]And[B] [B]MAKING A SCENE[/B] [/B]was a rude thing to do?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]Words once so sensible, sober and serious[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]Are making the[B][B] FREAK SCENE [/B][/B]quite[B] [B]PSYCHEDELIIOUS[/B][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][/B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]It’s[B] [B]GROOVY MAN GROOVY[/B] [/B]But English it’s not[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800040]Me thinks that our language has gone straight to[B] [B]POT….[/B][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Jan?! :shock:

:teehee:

:psst: [COLOR=Silver]What happened to the questiony eyebrow? I was gonna use him, but he disappeared! [/COLOR]

:eyebrow2: This one?

I don’t remember any of those things, Jan. :teehee:

I don’t buy it, either. Slang is eternal. :teehee:

I’m with Jan on this one! What started flying around in my head were things like… $.40 a gallon for gas… $.89 a pound for hamburger… $.25 for the buns…

Yeah! Where’d you find it? :teehee:

It’s in miscellaneous now.

Stiney, I’m a child of the 60’s what can I say. :teehee:

I remember when you were lucky to find 1 other person on here other than yourself! Wowza! This site HAS grown!

They say if you can remember the '60s, then you probably weren’t there :slight_smile:

I

I remember all of these :wink: Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

The little slang thing made it sound like before the 50’s, no one every talked in slang. My point is that people were always talking in slang (try reading Dickens sometimes-or Shakespeare! :teehee:), the words have just changed.

:teehee:

Really? When was the last time you birds wore your psychedelic bells?

I was a 60’s child (actually young married) and I do remember it. Vividly (not acid-vivid).

Heh, well, I was just going by what the infernal “They” say.