remainder of long tail

My yarn is on the way for the cowl I want to knit. I use long tail cast on, especially for 351 sts to join in the round but not sure what to do with remaining tail. I know I can Knit some into the first row, but how do I make sure it won’t come loose? I also have this problem once I have cast off. watched the weaving tutorial on you tube, tried it, and everywhere I ended, the yarn began to get frizzy and it looked unkempt What is the best way to keep an end in place?

Thanks all😐

How long is the long tail? I cut mine if it’s long that 4-6 inches after cast-on so I don’t accidentally mix it with the working yarn.

Hi Che, I had about 3-4" when I tried this last but when I finished
the afghan, I think I only had 2". It’s been a long time since I have knitted and in those days we were tying knots.

I’m not sure if this will help, but you’re able to tie a knot, or use a
stitch markers to and wrap it around there to make it hang.

For that many stitches I would use two yarn ends for my ltco. This is a Google search to let you choose which one you want to look at or you can find a video.
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=long+tail+cast+on+with+two+ends&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

What fiber is the yarn you’re using? Some just insist on getting frizzy and messy or slipping loose. I learned here that you can use matching thread and tack the ends down. I’ve done that on things that I really want both sides to look a nice as possible. So far I think those ends have behaved well.

Actually that is exactly what I ended up doing on the afghan, matched the thread and tacked it down.

Current project will be knit with bamboo pop. Have you found a way to weave in ends that works well for you?

To keep the ends in better I weave in the normal way then I split a couple stitches so the ends are harder to come loose. Also harder to take out intentionally even if you want to!

I’ve also heard that people take a an actual needle and thread to tack the end down if it’s really bad.

Didn’t mean to confuse you, i was referring to how to secure that last end after weaving it in :grimacing:

I think your yarn may well be predestined to be difficult when it comes to the ends working loose. I’d go with the needle and matching thread to tame the wild beastie.

What types of thread do you advise?

When I’ve done it I’ve just used sewing thread. I have lots because I used to sew a lot and each project necessitated buying matching thread. Embroidery floss might be a good choice, just pull out a strand. I’d use something I have on hand if possible. You might be able to separate a strand from your yarn and use that. But I offer no advice, only suggestions and to say what I’ve done that worked.

So helpful. Who says you’re grumpy :yum:

I do. I know me. I am Grumpy.
It started as a joke with my grands. It stuck. I am and will forever be GrumpyGramma.

Just so I understand, are you taking the needle thru the yarn as opposed to the stitch?

Once you’ve woven in the stitches you continue with the yarn that’s left on the needle and split a few stitches. I always use a needle to weave in the ends. Is that what you mean?

I can make a little video later if you want to see how I do it.

Sorry, not sure. I’m totally visual

Okay will try the video later today.

Sorry I didn’t get a video done. I babysit every day and it kind of slipped my mind. She’s napping right now, but DH is not around to hold the camera. Here’s a pretty good explanation though with visual guides. I start with part 2 and then part 1…so weave in the ends then skim it through a few stitches when it’s slippery yarn.

1 Like

Well, I can see I wasn’t doing it right. It also appears that I would need to have a minimum of 6". What you have done here is to make it difficult for the yarn to work loose. I just sort of went side to side and I didn’t make any turns. I need to practice this. Thanks for taking the time to do something like this for me. I hope I can help someone some day. Jan, Ravalry is nothing like this KnittingHelp Forum.

2 Likes

Yeah, a lot of people don’t know to follow the stitches. I do that for about 3 then split/skim a few. She does it straight across which I’ve done, but I’ve also gone diagonally. You’ll notice if you read it that she also suggests needle and thread as I did for super slippery yarns if they become a problem.