Red Heart Heavenly Baby Blanket

I am getting more comfortable with cable knitting, however, I am stumped with this pattern. I do not understand why it only shows Row 1 and Row 2 under the heading Blanket. I see where it says “continue as established” but I am lost because the Cable Panel shows a sequence of 8 rows while the Plume Panel shows only 4 rows. Could anyone explain how to read this pattern or even write out the sequence. I really want to make this for our newest granddaughter coming in June. Thank you in advance for any help. It wouldn’t let me post with the link - but it is at redheart.com - Heavenly Blanket

1 Like

pattern at http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/heavenly-baby-blanket

row 1 is standing in for ‘right side’. row 2 is standing in for ‘back/wrong side’. you could replace these terms with RS/WS if that made it clearer.

in the directions for stitches,
row 1 (RS) refers to row 1 of both the cable and plume lace patterns
row 2 (WS) refers to row 2 of both patterns
row 1 (3 overall, RS) refers to row 3 of both patterns
row 2 (4 overall, WS) refers to row 4 of both patterns
row 1 (5, overall, RS) refers to row 5 of the cable and row 1 of the plume lace patterns (again)
row 2 (6 overall, WS) refers to row 6 of the cable and row 2 of the plume lace patterns (again)
row 1 (7 overall, RS) refers to row 7 of the cable and row 3 of the plume lace patterns (again)
row 2 (8 overall, WS) refers to row 8 of the cable and row 4 of the plume lace patterns (again)

the cable pattern is 8 rows high. the plume lace pattern is 4 rows high. so to get them to the same point in height, you work 1-4 of the plume lace pattern a full second time, while working 5-8 of the cable pattern. when you finish up at the top, it will be the 8th row of the cable pattern, and the 4th row of the plume lace.

for the gauge they suggest, it should be about 38 repeats of 1-8 cable, and 76 repeats of 1-4 plume lace.

“Continue as established” means that you’re started with the pattern including the cable and plume panels. You’ll have to keep count of the rows for the panels separately.
Row 1: k6 then work the appropriate row for each panel
Row 2: k6 then work the appropriate row for each panel

Your first repeat of rows 1 and 2 will be rows 3 and 4 from the panels and then you’ll start the plume panel back at row1 and be on row 5 for the cable panel and so on.

For me it’s easier to just remember to start each row with k6 and then do the row I’m on for each panel. HTH

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed!

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed. :woot:

I have completed rows 1-8 as you mentioned. Ending with row 8 of the cable panel and row 4 of the plume panel. Do I now repeat the same as I have done starting with row 1 of the cable panel and row 1 of the plume panel…repeating the pattern as in the previous rows?

Welcome to KH!
Yes, keep repeating rows 1-8 of the Cable and 1-4 of the Plume.
https://www.yarnspirations.com/red-heart-heavenly-baby-blanket/RHK0202-014752M.html

Thank you! I am almost done and it’s turning out beautifully! Very easy pattern once you understand it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great news!
This is all good experience for the next project and the next. We’d love to see a photo when you finish.