Recycled Silk?

I was wondering :?? if any of you knit with recycled silk? I have seen the hanks in the LYS but I have not purchased any yet. I hear it does not “give” at all. What’s your opinion on it and what would it be good to use it for? :XX: Thanks

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTunbiased.html

Here’s a pattern.

I’ve heard it’s tricky too, more of an “art” yarn than functional. It can be found pretty cheap on eBay too.

You heard right, it has a firm, fabric-like texture. I found that it has a nice drape, though. I had almost a skein left over from the Mango Moon poncho kit and made up the “Shape It” scarf from Sally Melville’s “The Knit Stitch.” It looks great with jeans and a white t-shirt.

BTW, the poncho gets comments absolutely every time I wear it. :thumbsup: Not that I get any of the credit, it’s a simple pattern, 2 stockinette stitch rectangles. It’s the wonderful yarn that attracts attention.

I’ve knit with really nice recyclyed silk and really yucky recycled silk. It’s definitly worth the money to pay 12 bucks for a skein of the nicer yarn; the other stuff I got as a “deal” on ebay (I can’t remember the seller) with 4 bucks a skein… it was loosely spun, with knots, sticks, and some kind of dirt in it. :shock: It also broke really easily while pulling the yarn from the ball. After the breakage, I decided to rewind into hanks and hand wash all the yarn (I bought like 8 skeins!!!)… I never did go back to it after I washed it. , so there it sits… 1600 yards of GORGEOUS looking silk, that’s a real PITA to knit with.