Ready to give up

im a fairly new knitter, I’d been shown before by my left handed grandma (I’m not a lefty!) and then my mum showed me again over Christmas, I know how to knit, purl, yo, inc, dec etc… But I’m having problems with holding my needles/getting the technique right. My edge stitches are always really loopy and pretty much always doubled up and when I cast on ‘properly’ following a tutorial or my books it always seems to unravel between the stitches so I have huge loops again no matter which co method I follow, unless I do my own method (it’s probably not but I can’t see it anywhere, I kind of make knots with each stitch I cast on). I’ve finished a few projects and they look pretty good but I’m worried these things are holding me back and no matter how hard I try I can’t seem to fix it, or find the right YouTube video! Its very frustrating because I was really loving knitting and now I feel like I must be really bad at it :frowning:

If one cast-on doesn’t work for you, try another. If you can crochet, try a crocheted chain, pick up the last loop and pick up and knit the rest. The backwards loop cast-on is easy but will give you trouble sometimes.

I can’t figure out how to describe what I do most often; it’s a slipknot to start, then a twist of the wrist for each stitch so the CO is a row of small knots. There has to be a name for it.

Loopy edges? Slipping the first stitch, if it’s a pattern where you can, will help a lot with that. Practice will do the rest there.

If you like your projects and they look good to you, they ARE good. Here’s a suggestion for you: if you can work with 100%, not washable wool, knit something to felt. It’s like magic and any mistakes you do manage to make will disappear in the wash :slight_smile:

Honestly, we’ve all been where you are. Enjoy what you do and don’t worry about it not looking perfect.

Hard to tell what type of cast-on you are doing. It sounds like maybe you are doing a backward loop but doing it backward so that you are “unlooping” it as knit the first row. I prefer a knitted cast-on or long tail cast-on. To me they give the cleanest first row.

As for how to hold the needles and technique the ladies in my knitting group constantly laugh at me b/c I cannot knit with long straight needles. I do everything on circs b/c the needle is shorter and I hold them like pencils. My technique works for me.

I agree with the PP that felting is a great way to work out the kinks of learning to knit. Once a project is felted you won’t be able to see the loose or uneven stitches and you’ll have a beautiful purse, hat, or slippers to show for your work !

Depending on where you live you should look for either a yarn store that has knit nights or some meet-up type group in your area where you could join other knitters. Knitting should be fun and relaxing so as long as your happy with the finished project then keep moving forward.

Go to the top of the page and click videos. In the cast on section go to the knitted on cast on. That’s a good one for beginners. Also check the videos to make sure you are doing the stitches correctly.

It takes practice to get even tension. Don’t keep ripping it out after a few rows, just keep going even if it looks wonky.

Yes, please don’t give up! There are knitters all over the world, including some near you, hopefully, who should be able to help you out. Also, once you’ve learned a technique that suits you, remember that practice makes perfect!

Gillian

Hi Eleanorzen

If you have difficulty holding your needles, have you tried knitting with long needles and holding the top end of the right one under your right arm pit?

If you jam it in tight, it keeps the end you are working with more stable.