Reading Patterns when Knitting Combined

Hi, I’m new to this forum and I need some help. My grandmother taught me how to knit when I was in junior high. I did OK with knit and purl but everytime I read a pattern I was so confused; nothing ever looked like it was supposed to when I attempted it. Today I visited Amy’s videos and found out that my grandmother didn’t teach me regular Continental, like I’d always thought. She taught me Combined! And according to Amy, that means that increases and decreases will need to either be reoriented on the needle or learned specifically in a Combined style.
I’m wondering…what kinds of things will be need to be reoriented/learned in the “combined” style? Is it just increases and decreases, which Amy mentions in her Combined video, or are there other things that I don’t even know about? I’m trying to decide whether I should just try and relearn knitting the Continental way, or keep going with Combined, and just try to reorient my stitches when I come to an increase/decrease/whatever else is made different by using Combined.
Keep in mind I am completely new to reading patterns because of my early confusion, so bear with me. I’ve avoided knitting classes because every time someone tried to help me, they would show me in regular Continental (or American/English) and I’d be lost right off the bat. I taught myself crochet from books and when I’d come to something I didn’t know, I’d look it up. That hasn’t worked for me with knitting because I was working Combined and didn’t even know it, so I couldn’t reconcile the pictures with what I was seeing in my own work.

Look at annemodesitt.com for how tos for increasing and decreasing combined. I think that may be the only tricky things for combined knitting.

sue

You just reverse your decreases like so:

If the pattern says knit 2 together, you do a slip, slip, knit
If the pattern says SSK, you do a knit 2 together

Because your stitches are reversed, you do reversed decreases. Increases should stay the same. Hope that helps. It worked when I tried it.