Reading Pattern Help

Hi,

I’m a beginner knitter and wanted to try out a more challenging pattern. But well, I’m already kind of confused, hope somebody can help me understand! This is a circle like shape / head of stuffed animal.

Cast on 16 sts

Row 1 K1, M1, K to last st, M1, K1. 18 sts.

Row 2 Inc as set by Row 2 on 4 foll alt rows and 4 foll 4th rows. 34 sts.
Beg with P row, work 7 work in st st.

Row 34 K1, SSK, K to last 3 sts, K2tog, K1. 32 sts.
Dec as set by Row 34 on foll 4th row and 6 foll alt rows. 18 sts.

My first thought was to just increase every 4th row, but that doesn’t seem correct… And the decrease after also confuses me :grimacing:

Thank you!

Welcome!
Should Row 2 be Inc as set by Row 1??

If so, increase on rows 3,5,7 and 9 (that’s every other row, 4x). Then inc on rows 13,17,21 and 25 (that’s every 4th row, 4x).

For the decreases, dec on row 38 and then on rows 40,42,44,46,48, and 50 (that’s every other row, 6x)
Can you give us the name or a link to the stuffed animal pattern?

Thanks so much for your quick reply!

Ok I made a typo(s), thought I double checked, that’s not helping of course…

Cast on 16 sts
Row 1 (WS) purl
Row 2 K1, M1, K to last st, M1, K1. 18 sts.
Inc as set by Row 2 on 4 foll alt rows and 4 foll 4th rows. 34 sts.
Beg with P row, work 7 rows in st st.

The decrease section I understand now

Ah, very cute!
Ok, so it’s the same idea except that the first inc row is row 2. Inc on rows 4,6,8 and 10 which is every other row and then on every 4th row which is 14,18,22 and 26.
Enjoy working Smudge!

Didn’t understand the last “Beg with P row, work 7 rows in st st.”
But I think I need to start my increase on row 8, 10, 12, 14. And then 18, 22, 26, 30?
That gives me 32 st on row 34.

Thank you for helping me out! (and maybe I’ll return when I run into confusion again :wink:)

No, start increasing on row 4 and finish on row 26. The next 7 rows are stockinette starting with a purl row. That’s p, k, p, k, p, k, p, ending on row 33. Then your next instruction is for decreases on row 34.

ah ok! sounds logical for a circle like shape :nerd_face:
Think I’m gonna just write every row down…

That’s a good idea. It’s very helpful to sort out increases and decreases row by row. Have fun and post a photo when you finish!

I will! :cat:

Thanks for helping me on my way!
I’ve learned a lot moving away from knitting rectangles :nerd_face:

Bravo! Smudge looks wonderful. You have such a cute expression on his face. Well done.