Reading a shawl chart

Hi, I am new to the forum. My name is Lynn. I have a question about reading a chart on Harbour Lights by Sivia Harding. There are two places on the triangle shawl pattern where going from one row to the next, there is an extra k stitch that looks like I should be increasing the row by a yo and k stitch at the beginning and end of that row. However, I don’t know what I should be knitting the stitch into. All other rows have a yo that I stitch the next row k stitch into as I increase the size of the shawl. I can add a photo, but don’t know how to do that.

Welcome to KH!
It could be that you have to cast on a stitch at the end of the row? Sometimes counting up the number of sts in the previous row and comparing to the number of sts in the next row helps figure this out.

You can post a photo by clicking on the up arrow in the middle of the ribbon at the top of the Reply box. Follow the directions to upload from there on. Please don’t post the entire chart, just the portion in question since there are copyright restrictions.

At the beginning of row 23 I must be adding a stitch in some way. Just not sure how. Thanks for your help.

Don’t add a stitch. The pattern would indicate a M1 if that were the case. Just add the yo to begin the row and work across the boxes of the chart. So you’ll work a yo, k1, yo, k1, yo and you should be fine. It’ll take the next RS row to see the pattern of a k1 spine (the bolded k1) with yo’s on each side near the edge.

Thank you.