Re-sizing a pattern

Hello!

First of all, I am enamoured of Durrow. I love the sleeve detailing, and when I decided that it was time to knit a sweater, I couldn’t get excited about any of the other patterns I found. I want Durrow. Wants it, I do.

for previous experience: I’m a less than a year knitter, and I learned to knit by watching the videos right here on knittinghelp.com. I’ve done a lot of scarves, because my LYS lady told me that you could knit your whole life making only scarves and learn every knitting technique out there and never, ever repeat yourself. I’ve also made socks (toe up, figure eight cast on, double short row heels) knitted lace, and knitted cables - the most complated I’ve done is Saxon braid.

the challenge I’m facing is this. the smallest measurements for Durrow make it fairly obvious that this is a man sweater, and I am a woman. But I want to knit this sweater, and I want to knit it for myself, and I don’t want it to look like I’ve nicked my boyfriend’s sweater out of the closet.

So my solution is to scale it down. I went over the instructions, did the math based on my bust measurement (35") and decided that since I have long arms that I could carry off the sleeve length if I started the pattern after an inch and carried the knotwork pattern a little higher up the shoulders. the result (I think) is that I want to reduce the number of stitches, etc. by 25%. (give or take a point or two.)

but my math scares me a little on the sleeves. the gauge is 4.5 stitches per inch, and the pattern calls for a 10" cuff to cast on (46 sts.). I decided to cast on for 8 inches (36 sts), as I have skinny and sticklike little wrists. but following the increases brings me to 60 sts/13.3" around the bicep as opposed to the pattern’s 72sts/16", and my bicep measurement is 13".

but cables pull everything in, don’t they? so won’t the upper arms be too tight?

in a panic,

Athena’s Owl

Since the increases are along the edges where the ribbing is, you could change your rate of increase to accommodate the size you want the top of the sleeve to be. If you work them on circular needles you can slide the sleeve onto the cable and ‘try it on’ as you go.