Raglan sleeves - decreases - is this correct?

Hello! I’m knitting the Stonewall sweater: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stonewall-3 - it’s knit bottom-up, itr. There’s been quite a few pattern issues so far, and now I’m wondering if the decreases for the raglan sleeves are incorrect as well - they’re not symmetrical, which makes my alarm bells go off, but I’m not totally sure if they are supposed to be.

The decrease round instructions are:
K1, ssk, work across front to 3 sts before m, k2tog, k1, sm, k1, k2tog, p to 3 sts before m, ssk, k1, sm, k1, k2tog, work across back to 3 sts before m, ssk, k1, sm, k1, k2tog, p to 3 sts before m, ssk, k1 (8 sts dec’d)

So the left front is ssk, k1, sm, k1, ssk, the right front is k2tog, k1, sm, k1, k2tog. But both sides of the back are ssk, k1, sm, k1, k2tog. Is that really right?

It’s not the directions I like decreases pointing. I like decreases following the raglan line for myself and so I’d change these too.

You could change these decreases to whatever you prefer. You could at least make the front and back with similar slanting decreases.

1 Like

Thank you! I decided to do the same increases in the front and back, but I’ve kept the k2tog, k1, sm, k1, k2tog - I haven’t done enough raglan sleeves to have a clear preference one way or the other.

I’ve run into another problem in the front, where the
v-neck meets the top of the raglan decreases, though. I’m supposed to decrease until I have one st left of the front sections on either side of the v-neck. So as I’m decreasing from 5 to 3 to 1 st, the raglan line and the line of the v-neck will meet. What is a neat way to do those last two decreases? The pattern offers no instructions.

This last decrease may become part of the seam, but if I have a k2tog / ----- \ ssk meeting with 3sts left, I slip one knitwise, k2tog and pass slipped stitch over.

1 Like

Thanks - just what I needed :slight_smile: