Raglan sleeved jumper

After knitting my 7th pair of socks and then getting sidetracked by my other interests (latest is repairing clocks) the urge to knit has returned.

My favourite ever jumper was very similar to this. My late mother bought it in the Isle of Skye and gave it to me decades ago but it got so worn out I had to part with it. I have chosen a naturally coloured yarn from British wool which has such a strong smell of sheep that I am am rather anxious about wearing it outside London in case I get chased by a ram or rounded up by a pack of sheepdogs.

Classic look and such a nice idea to re-create this sweater. I’ll look for the trail of sheepdogs and shepherds following you the next time I’m in London!

Colour and pattern both look lovely. Hope you and it survive!

Gillian

The pattern specified No 10 (UK) needles for the ribbing at the bottom and No 8 for the main pattern - a looser type of ribbing in which the purl rib (when viewed from the front) is knitted into the row below before slipping the stitch when working across the wrong side, described and illustrated in the pattern as a K.I.B. After nearly completing the back I realised that the gauge was too loose so I have switched to using No 10s throughout and will have to undo most of it. The moral is always to knit a test square first!

Thanks, NigelW. This is helpful to have recorded here for possible future knitters and good to know in general.

Back now finished. About 15,000 stitches I reckon. Doing a sleeve next.

Beautiful work, NigelW! That’s going to be a very good looking sweater.