Quick question on stitch holders

Hi all. I’m relatively knew and am knitting my first cardigan. It’s a top down one, I’ve just finished the raglan increases and need to separate the sleeves. Pattern looks like this:

RS: K13 (15, 16, 17, 18, 19) left front sts, remove m, cast on 1 (1, 1, 1, 2, 2) sts using backward loop method1, slip 24 (26, 26, 30, 30, 32) sleeve sts onto holder, keep m if doing pocket option (otherwise remove m), cast on 1 (1, 1, 1, 2, 2) sts, k33 (37, 39, 41, 43, 45) back sts, remove m, cast on 1 (1, 1, 1, 2, 2) sts, slip 24 (26, 26, 30, 30, 32) sleeve sts onto holder, keep m if doing pocket option (otherwise remove m), cast on 1 (1, 1, 1, 2, 2) sts, k13 (15, 16, 17, 18, 19) right front sts.

I’ve only used stitch holders once before (making baby booties) and the patter was very clear to break the yarn before th holder and then join it after. This pattern doesn’t say to do that. Should I read it as a given that I am meant to though? Otherwise I’ll have a big loop of thread running behind the stitches on the holder to the other side. Is it just a given that people know that’s what they’re meant to do with a stitch holder?

Any help much appreciated!

Can you provide a pattern name and link please? (Don’t post the pattern just the link/name)

IIRC the top down sweaters I’ve done you don’t cut the yarn. You just put the stitches on waste yarn and continue. That’s what it sounds like you do for this one. Here’s how I’ve done it.

3 Likes

Thanks! The pattern is this one here http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/storytime-scholar

Thanks for the video! I didn’t break the yarn and it’s all looking pretty good!