Questions

I joined Ravelry and would like to know what “stashed” means on the yarn pages. I know there are a lot of R members here so maybe you can tell me.

Also, can you tell me how to find a yarn to replace the one in a pattern? What do I look for: gauge, ply, weight, yards, ? To try and find one that will be approx. the same gauge and work with the pattern?

Thanks,
Pauline

Stashed means it’s yarn that is part of someone’s personal “stash” of yarn. A few people may not, but most of us have a bunch of stash yarn we bought for a project or because it’s pretty or a multitude of other reasons. :teehee:

What you want to look for when subbing yarn is gauge first of all. Fiber can be somewhat important as well. For instance if the pattern uses acrylic and you’d like to use silk you need to keep in mind that the two yarns can behave differently when knit even if they are the same gauge. Silk is very soft with little body which makes it great for some scarves and shawls, but maybe not a boxy, tailored jacket.

There are a couple ways to search sub yarn. You can go to the project you want to do and look at yarns used for that project by other people. There’s a tab for that within the pattern or project pages. You can click the project that used it and see what the person said about it, go to that yarns page and read the comments… Always check the gauge because done people go off gauge intentionally.

You can also use the filters in RAV to search for yarns within certain parameters. I generally use the first method of seeing what others have used.

Thanks, Jan. I guess there’s more info for that kind of thing on Ravelry than any where else. Boy, it’s a big site!

i’ll just add that i love yarnsub.com for substitutions. it’s a uk-based site, but has information on yarns world-wide. you can search by name, brand, weight or fiber. they’re constantly adding new items. when you search it will give you all sorts of options for substitutions, AND tell you how they compare (if the drape is the same, if you need different needles to keep gauge, etc). it’s worth checking out even if you don’t substitute yarn often. :wink:

That sounds very helpful!
Thanks.