Questions for set in sleeve

patterns

Hello can anyone help with set in sleeves I’ve been on a few youtube tutorials but not helping me as my pattern instructions are confusing.
It says to use double pointed needles or magic loop {think I will try it} and to cast on 42 sts join placing marker to indicate start of round, Is it asking me to join in the round or join to sweater then it
im confused as to where to join sleeve as it says set up row work in pattern across right front sts to underarm place marker, join the first sleeve with right side facing and work in rib pattern across all stitches , place marker, work across back stitches , place marker,join second sleeve as for first, place marker, work in pattern across left front sts to end,
is this making any since to anyone its confusing . any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

What is the name of the pattern? Can you give us a link?
It sounds like a bottom up sweater with a yoke. When it says “join in the round” it means to join the cast on sts to begin knitting the sleeve at the wrist. You’re not joining to the body of the sweater yet.
These later directions are for joining the finished sleeve to the body of the sweater to work the yoke. Work across right front, then work in pattern across one sleeve (presumably it’s on a holder or another needle). Then work across the back, the second sleeve and the left front. This will join all the pieces.

Hello salmonmac yes its the Vera link I sent prior here is more details of pattern

CONSTRUCTION

The body of Vera is worked flat in one piece to the underarms, after which the sleeves are joined and worked along with the body stitches to the top of the shoulder, minimizing seams and improving the fit of the sleeve. An overall k2, p2 rib pattern gives the garment graceful vertical lines from collar to cuffs and hem. Their slimming effect is further emphasized by the waist decreases, which are worked across neighboring ribs to create a subtle hourglass effect at the sides that visually nips in the waist.

Sleeves are worked in the round separately, joined, and then decreased to form the sleeve cap while the upper body stitches are worked without further shaping—presto! A foolproof set-in sleeve without the need for any seaming. This is an inversion of the topdown set-in sleeve method described by Barbara Walker in Knitting from the Top—if you find this method of interest, have a look at that book or Kristeen Griffith-Grimes’s French Girl Knits, which also uses top-down set-in sleeves for two of the patterns, and has good illustrations, too.

The only seams on this sweater, in fact, are done at the top of the shoulders, where the fronts and back are worked separately for a few rows as the last of the sleeve stitches are decreased away. You may be tempted to graft or Kitchener those stitches instead, but I don’t recommend it! First, seams give the finished garment a bit more structure here at the top, and prevent sagging across the shoulders or gaping at the back neck. Second, the number of stitches at the front and back shoulder are not exactly even. Seaming lets you ease those extra stitches across the seam, which is not possible when you’re grafting.
Next row (and all following WS rows): Work in pattern as set across all sts.

Armhole shaping is for the fronts and back is worked over the next three RS rows; at the same time, you will begin increasing for the collar at the front edges, and making compensating decreases to shift the vine leaf panel toward the side of the garment and narrow the fronts to the top of the shoulder.

Decrease Row 1 (first sleeve decrease row; first collar shaping row): Work to 2 sts before first marker, m1; work to next marker, k1, ssk; *work to 3 sts before next marker, k2tog, k1, slip marker, k1, ssk; rep from * three times; work to 3 sts before next marker, k2tog, k1; work to next marker, k2, m1, work to end. (2 sts increased at front edges, 2 sts decreased at outer borders of vine leaf panels, 2 sts decreased on fronts by sleeve joins, 2 sts decreased on each sleeve, 2 sts decreased on back by sleeve joins—total st count is decreased by 8.)

Decrease Row 2: *Work in pattern as set to 3 sts before sleeve marker, k2tog, k2, ssk; rep from * 3 times; work in pattern as set to end. (8 sts decreased—2 front, 2 back, 4 sleeve.)

Next RS row: Same as Decrease Row 1. (This completes the armhole shaping for the fronts and back of the body.)

Next RS row: Work in pattern as set to first sleeve marker, k1, ssk, work to last 3 sts before next sleeve marker, k2tog, k1; rep for next sleeve; work in pattern as set to end. (4 sts decreased on sleeves only.)

You are now working decs only on the sleeve sts—the number of body sts will remain the same on the back, and you decrease on the fronts at the outside of the vine leaf panels only on rows where you

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/TT820/vera

Great looking cardigan! Do the sleexe joins make sense now?

Thank you salmonmac . it kinda makes sense just not sure how to add them but will figure it out with trial and error i’m sure :slight_smile: I am a want to be experienced knitter and with more practice I’ll get there!

It’s the kind of instruction that makes more sense when you have the pieces on needles in front of you. When you get to rhat part, post again if you’re still in doubt.