Questions about this classic baby cardigan

I’m taking on my first clothing item. It’s a classic baby cardigan. (Stockinette stitch body and sleeves, with k1, p1 rib at neck, wrists and around the bottom of the sweater.)

I’ve just started it and I’m working on the back. The pattern says:

Cast on 61 stitches. Work in k1, p1 rib for 1 inch, ending with a wrong-side row and at the same time, increasing 4 stitches evenly across last row; 65 stitches. (Then it goes on to begin the stockinette stitch.)

Okay, so I get how to do the k1, p1 rib. But when I end with a wrong-side row, I’m confused about how to do the increases. :?? Do I do this within the last row of k1, p1 rib (I guess it would be p1, k1 since I’d be on the wrong side)? Is the increase considered a knit or a purl stitch? Or do I purl that entire row with the increases? The pattern abbreviations say Make 1 (M1): Make a loop cast-on onto right-hand needle to increase 1 stitch. This doesn’t sound like what I watched in Amy’s M1 video. :thinking:

Thanks for any help and suggestions! This has me confused.

You increase on the last row of the ribbing. It really doesn’t matter what kind you use since you don’t continue the ribbing from that point. I wouldn’t do the type of increase they call for because it will leave a small gap. Do the M1 increase like in the video, or you can even kfb.

Thanks, Ingrid!

So does that mean the last row of ribbing would turn out like this?..

p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, M1 increase,
p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1

That would work fine. :thumbsup:

Well, I thought of another question… :thinking:

The pattern says to use size 5 needles (for the ribbing sections) and size 7 needles (for the stockinette stitch sections), or sizes needed to obtain gauge. According to the pattern, the gauge is supposed to be:

In stockinette stitch with larger needles, 22 stitches and 30 rows = 4 inches.

So 5.5 stitches per inch. I get 4.5 stitches per inch on my swatch. I haven’t tried my size 6 needles yet. But assuming the size 6 needles give me the correct gauge for my stockinette stitch, do I then still use size 5 for the ribbing, or do I move that down to size 4?

Thanks!

You should probably move down to 4 for the ribbing, but if you’ve already started I don’t think it will make that much difference. :thinking: