Question?

can you knit on the plane ( AIR PLANE)

Usually, but it’s best to check with the airline before going.

http://www.tsa.gov/
check the airlines, but also TSA - they are who actually regulate it. A lot depends on where you’re traveling from/to. International flights probably not.

I had no problem taking knitting last July (flying from MD to FL), but I think regulations may have become more strict since then.

I would check with the airline and TSA first before attempting to bring knitting on the plane. Look at it like this, a knitting needle is a sharp object and could be used as a weapon, thats how the TSA folks are going to look at it.
:knitting:

Most domestic flights allow needles in carryons; it helps if they’re circular, not metal, and you already have a project started.

I know this sounds like a funny answer, but this is how it works: They don’t care if you knit on a plane. They care that you bring the needles on the plane. Those are 2 different things. A flight attendant will never stop you from knitting, but security may stop you from taking your needles in your carry-on bag or your purse. Check out the thread I started earlier in General Knitting about flyiing with knitting needles updated. If you’re going to be flying somewhere soon, you can try, but I’d take very cheap needles in case they confisacate them at security, which they seem to be doing more and more.

I’ve flown a lot in the last 6 years and always take needles along with a project on them. It helps I think, if they’re circular rather than straight, and have knitting on them. I did see a woman at the Denver airport knitting socks on dpns though, so they will let tiny wood needles through most airport security.

The airlines have nothing to do with it, and actually, the TSA agency has nothing to do with it when you’re standing there in the security line. You go through the general security, airlines don’t have their own security lines. The agent with the wand is who is going to make the decision.

The security agent with the wasn [B]is[/B] TSA.

Irishlady1970 sounded as if she was talking about contacting the agency before your trip. That’s what I meant-- of course the agent is the TSA, but they are pretty much the lowest on the totem pole. My point was that if you contact the agency and they say, we allow it, it won’t do a bit of good if the agent in the security line says you can’t take them.

The simple answer is yes, you can.The rules do not say you can’t.

…now whether or not the TSA officer will actually respect the TSA regulations or come up with his/her own is a completely different question.These people have a tendency to come up with their own rules to the game on the spot and disregard that you just paid various hundred dollars to fly, not to be treated as a criminal.