Question Re DPNs

Maybe this is a silly question but hopefully someone can help me out.

I am trying to ease my way into the world of socks and have been practicing working on DPNs. They feel so clumsy and awkward but I’m determined to stick to it because I want to learn how to use them.

What I’m not sure is do you use a stitch marker to mark the beginning of the round on DPNs? If so, how do you stop it from falling off the needle?:shrug:

I know the tail yarn from the cast on will mark the round but I’m just a bit confused on whether people use a marker or not.

Thanks for your help.

after the 1st st…

Or you can move the 1st st to the needle with the last stitch on it and put the marker between them.

I’ve always found it difficult to use stitch markers. What I do now when I knit socks is to:

1. Read the pattern fully before starting.
  2. Where the pattern tells you the number of stitches to use to start the heel flap - I split those stitches between the first and third needles to begin with. The remainder of the stitches are on needle 2for the instep. Of course this is a preference because I find it a PITA to use 4 needles for socks so I only ever use 3.
  3. Then, having arranged the stitches this way, I join the first few stitches knitting with both the working yarn and the long-tail (automatically weaving in the end). Then when I drop the tail yarn it’s in (about) the middle of the first needle.

That way you can always keep track of which one is the first needle no matter how far you get on the sock and the beginning of the round is ALWAYS between the needles with the less stitches (top of the triangle, back of the heel…).

Does that make sense? Just my way. I’m sure you’ll find something that works for you.

Thanks for this info it makes complete sense. I’ll give that a try.

I usually just keep track of where the tail is, but I did have a piece of lacey work where that wasn’t very practial. In that case, I took a piece of scrap yarn and worked in and out of my work at the beginning of my rounds. You don’t have to do it every round, just enough to see where the round ends/begins. It worked for me!