Question re Berroco La Cieniga Pattern

I’m not sure if this belongs in the Pattern section or here… anyway, I’m reading over the pattern for the Berroco La Cieniga sweater, and it says this (for the size I want to make):

With smaller needles, cast on 129 sts.

<snip - here you knit 2 inches of K1P1 ribbing>

Then it says:

Change to larger needles and p the next row, dec 40 sts across - 89 sts. Work in St st, dec 1 st each side every 2 1/2" 5 times.

<snip, - knitting until it’s 15" from beginning>

Later it says:

Change to smaller needles and p the next row, inc 24 sts across - 103 sts.

Basically, my problem is in not knowing what kind of decrease(s) to do, or where exactly to do it/them - same with the increases. When it says to “p the next row, dec” (or inc), does it mean to do the dec/inc in that same first purled row? I’m basically making a shape that looks like an isosceles trapezoid (sorry, I know that’s dorky, but it does!), if that helps. Does it matter where or how I do the decreases or increases, or should I just randomly insert them?

Thanks in advance…

When a pattern has you increase or decrease across a row like it’s stated in this one, you spread them out as evenly as possible. On the dec row you’d do something like p3, p2 tog, p3, p2 tog and that should get you down to the number you need. If you come up short, do p3, p2tog, p2, p2tog, p3, etc; if you have too many left over, throw a few p4 p2tog to alternate with the p3, p2tog. On the inc row you’d do something similar, p3, inc, p3, inc and adj to make the stitches come up to the number you need.

sue

Thank you!

Karen,

That’s a beautiful sweater! What color are you using? Want to do a KAL?

Mary

Mary, I’m using the color in the photo, which is Berroco Love It Colors Monday Monday. I wasn’t sure which to choose, but eventually just couldn’t get over loving the one in the photo.

Join me! :hug: I cast on yesterday and am doing the ribbing…