question on wrap and turn my knitting stitches

Hi, not sure if I was doing this right but I have a pattern of a child’s poncho and it starts with 5 R garter st. and then the next Row we don’t knit but place 10 markers. Now going onto the next row we are doing a certain amount of Knit and certain amount of purl. ex: knit 13 Purl 8 wrap and turn. I am not sure if my wrap is going to be a knit or a purl and when I do that and say knit another 8 do I count that as one of the stitches. Hope this makes sense and thanks so much
shar

Knit or purl the given number of sts. The next stitch isn’t knit or purl, it’s slipped to the right needle, wrapped and slipped back to the left needle. When you turn, the last stitch that you worked (either a knit or purl) is the first stitch to be worked on this row. That stitch is where you start counting for the next row, not the wrapped stitch.
Here’s an example

thanks so much for the reply. When I was going on youtube it was showing either slipping it knitwise or purlwise so thought that it would make a difference. This one from you is more clear. I was also confused on the counting part of it so thanks so much for the help!
Shar

thank you, I will look at that video. Does that mean it’s going to be in the same stitch each time? When I come back it’s not showing very clearly and when I’m purling it looks about the same. I will check that video and see if I can get it this time. Thanks again

I’m sorry that I see that I had asked about that poncho in July. I had put it away and worked on a baby blanket and was away for awhile and then picked this poncho back up and still having a problem, I posted the question and then noticed I had written previously. Sorry about that. I am finding it very confusing but will try again and watched that video. Thanks for your time

It’s most likely that you’re not wrapping and turning the same stitch or column of sts each time. Usually, you work x number of sts before the w&t or x number of sts past the w&t.
One stitch more or less isn’t going to make a big difference for most patterns. It’s the general shaping that you want.

thanks, yes it does seem different and I believe it’s for the forming of the bottom of the poncho. For some reason this pattern isn’t liking me too much lol Thank you!