Question on sl 1 purlwise WYIB

Okay, so I’m making this water bottle sling, and the pattern says

sl 1 purlwise WYIB and I’m just generally confused on this one. I’m not too experienced, but I’m pretty good at understanding explanations.

Thanks!

Slip a stich as if you were going to purl it, but leave the yarn in the back (WYIB).

sue

Thanks for the quick reply!

Just want to make sure I’m doing this right:

The pattern states:

sl 1 purwise WYIF, k1

and then I repeat this until the end.

So, doe that mean that I have to bring the yarn in front when slipping the yarn. And then bringing it to the back to knit?

I’m hoping that I make sense…

***The pattern states:

sl 1 purwise WYIF, k1

and then I repeat this until the end.

So, doe that mean that I have to bring the yarn in front when slipping the yarn. And then bringing it to the back to knit? ***

Whether you bring the yarn to the back after the slip depends on your stitch pattern. If you K WYIF you’ll be doing an increase (akin to a YO). Does the pattern call for doing increases in that row? (Did you do decs in another row?)

cam

Whether you bring the yarn to the back after the slip depends on your stitch pattern. If you K WYIF you’ll be doing an increase (akin to a YO). Does the pattern call for doing increases in that row? (Did you do decs in another row?)

In slip stitch knitting, it’s not an increase if you slip the next stitch. It’s an increase if you knit the next one.

Autumn,

So, does that mean that I have to bring the yarn in front when slipping the yarn. And then bringing it to the back to knit?

Yes, where it says to slip with yarn in front, bring it to the front, slip the stitch, then bring it to back again. The yarn in front over the stitch creates a particular look for the pattern.

sue

Alright, I think that I’ve got it.

Thanks for the help sue and cam!

Autumn

Sue,

***In slip stitch knitting, it’s not an increase if you slip the next stitch. It’s an increase if you knit the next one. ***

***Yes, where it says to slip with yarn in front, bring it to the front, slip the stitch, then bring it to back again. The yarn in front over the stitch creates a particular look for the pattern. ***

FWIW, I have done stitch patterns where there’s a slip with YIF and then a K is done w/o moving the YTB (resulting in an increase). May not be applicable in this case.

cam

FWIW, I have done stitch patterns where there’s a slip with YIF and then a K is done w/o moving the YTB (resulting in an increase). May not be applicable in this case.

cam

Yes, that can be so, but from her description, it doesn’t sound as if it wants a yarnover. And she first posted that it said WYIB. Sounds like a slip stitch pattern that has you leave the loose yarn on one side - which requires that you move the yarn to the front or back before slipping, depending on whether you’re working the RS or WS.

sue

Sue, agreed. If YIF/YIB is always on same side (RS/WS) may be along the lines of a linen/woven look. (I’m presently working on sweater that has Ks worked with YIF and that extra stitch is then wrapped over the two following it…so various possibilities). Hard to determine when we don’t have more of the instructions…or pic… to go by.

cam