Question on Pattern

Hello!
I am attempting this pattern https://www.yarnspirations.com/patons-pastoral-lace-knit-shawl/PAK0126-010178M.html

I am following along with the video provided and am having trouble if I have the correct stitch count before I continue. After 8:23 in the video, I counted 17 stitches on her needles. After I finished I have 21 stitches. I tried it twice now and am still getting 21 stitches.

Any help would be much appreciated!

It’s not you. There’s a stutter in the video where she repeats rows 5 and 6 yet still calls them row 5 and 6. At the end of row 5 there should be 17sts. At the end of the repeat of row 5 (actually row 7) there should be 21sts.
You’ll be fine with 21sts as long as you’re in pattern and keep adding 4st per odd number row up to 125sts.
Lovely scarf!

2 Likes

Thank you very much! That explains the different count!

This is lovely. In case I’m not the only one who wants to save it on Ravelry I’m posting the link. Bonus: It’s charted!

1 Like

I have a feeling this middle is not coming out correctly. Am I overreacting to early or should I keep going? I don’t know where I am messing up.

What row of the pattern are you on? I think you have too many yo’s in the center. I’m linking to a photo that shows the center. What you have is pretty but it’s not per the pattern.
https://images4-f.ravelrycache.com/uploads/Yarnspirations/528382997/webp/pak0126-010178m_medium2.webp#jpg

I’d start it like this:
1st row: (RS). K3. PM yo. PM K1. yo. PM K3.
9 sts.
The first and third markers would be a reminder to knit the garter edge stitches. When I got to the second one on the RS I would sm, k1,yo, knit to last marker, yo, sm, knit3. I’ve done it with a marker on each side of the center stitch but decided I didn’t like having the second marker. You might find it helpful.

I hope this helps. If not someone else can do a better explanation.

I am on the repeat rows 5 and 6.

Ideally you would like to have a marker on the center stitch that is mentioned in the video. GG’s placement is a big help and if the center marker works for you, then do that. I need more of a reminder about that center rib and it seems like that stitch is what is wandering in your knitting.
So Row 3 would be as GG wrote or alternatively with a marker on the central knit stitch rather than on the needle. Of course you would have to unpin it and re-pin every few rows. After several rows it will stand out on its own and you may not need that central marker.

1st row: (RS). K3. PM yo. K1. yo. PM K3.

Then the subsequent rows are similar but with the yarn overs gradually becoming knit sts as the rows increase like this:
K3. PM yo. xxxxx yo. K1. yo. xxxxx yo. PM K3.

1 Like

I think I see what you and @GrumpyGramma are saying to do. I will restart and try it again using more stitch markers.

At around 6 min. Marly shows and explains stitch marker placement for the center stitch (she uses two) with a yo on each side. Once you see what you’re doing you can use your marker(s) as you prefer. I didn’t think of mentioning that you can put the marker in the center stitch because I don’t do it that way. I’m glad salmonmac thought of it. I think you’ll soon get into the rhythm of how this works and it will be a huge success. If you have more questions do be sure to ask. And (hint, hint) we love pictures of projects. I hope we get to see some of your shawl as you progress.

I made the shawl in the video. Anyone who wants to make it should skip the pattern and just follow the video to get going IMHO. I was going to tell my daughter that I couldn’t figure out the pattern she’d specifically requested and stumbled across the video. I threw away the pattern and made her shawl just from Marly’s video.

1 Like

This video helped tremendously as well as the recommendation to put more markers in. I ended up putting markers on both sides of the center stitch and that kept everything in check.

I am now starting the lace section and have a question on the 2nd row.

2nd Row: K3. Knit all the knit stitches and purl all purl and yo as they appear to the last 3 stitches. K3.

I understand you knit the knits and purl the purls part but how do I yarn over a yarn over?

1 Like

Unless the pattern gives different instructions, purl the yarn overs.

Thank you!

I’m so glad you found your solution. It makes knitting so much easier and enjoyable.

Yep. Purl the yo when you come to it.

1 Like