Question on Pattern repeat

Hi all,

I’m knitting the Palethorp Shawl and had a question about the pattern repeat.

The pattern has a stitch guide that goes like this:
Stitch Guide:
Cat’s Eye (multiple of 4 sts. temporarily increasing to multiple of 6 sts + 4)
(There are four rows in the Cat’s Eye pattern listed here.)
Rep Rows 1-4 for pattern.

The pattern starts with a setup row on the WS, where a marker is placed, then shows the following:
Increase row (RS): Work Cat’s Eye pattern to marker, then knit to end. (abbreviated since it isn’‘t relevant to question)
Next row (WS): Knit to marker, then work pattern to end. (abbreviated since it isn’'t relevant to question)

Continue in pattern, rep the shaping of the last 2 rows 198 more times, then work 1 more RS row, working new sts in St st.

My question is concerning the “continue in pattern, rep the shaping of the last 2 rows 198 more times”

Does this mean I do NOT repeat rows 1-4 of the Cat’s eye pattern 198 times, but instead, after I do the first 4 rows of the Cat’s eye pattern, I then only repeat rows 3 and 4 of the Cat’s eye pattern 198 times, no longer doing Rows 1 & 2 of cat’s eye pattern?

Thanks for any help!

Hi! Is there a link to this pattern that you can provide?

Very pretty pattern for this shawl.
Repeat rows1-4 for the Cat’s Eye pattern. The increases seem to take place next to and in addition to the Cat’s Eye pattern and you’ll repeat that shaping at the same time as the main pattern stitch.

Since this is a paid pattern it would be best to delete the detailed instructions for the Cat’s Eye. That way we won’t get into copyright problems. It’s enough to know that it’s a 4 row pattern.

1 Like

It’s a paid pattern, so there’s no link to the full pattern, but the pattern page can be found here and here. The cat’s eye portion is the edge of the shawl and the rest is a basic stockinette stitch.

I wondered about typing it out and wasn’t sure how much was needed. I edited it. :blush:

Thanks for the explanation! That helped me understand. The “shaping” is the shaping that’s done with the additional stitches that are outside of the cat eye’s pattern on each row. That makes complete sense now.

Great! We’d love to see a photo of you finished shawl.

1 Like

I’ll be sure to post a pic when I’m finished. It might take me awhile, lol!