Question for Jan, mostly, about magic loop

Thanks! :blush:

My first magic loop!

I found the light coloured bulky yarn easier to work with.
Also made sure I bought a 40" circular needle. It is pointy so easy to go into st in awkward moments with the loop.
It is Knitters Pride Nova Cubics Platena.

So thank you Jan and to all who helped me.

You’re welcome! That’s a beautiful color!

That yarn and color are irresistible! The magic loop looks great.

I love the Charisma. First time using it when Michael’s had a sale.
Got some for my dil in different colours at xmas too.

Fingers crossed it turns into a hat. Thanks!

A post was split to a new topic: How to knit circularly

I just discovered a problem with learning to knit magic loop. I went through my hat patterns and of course none of them say anything about the magic loop. They usually say to change to dpn’s . So what should I do if I want to try the magic loop? Just ignore the pattern and keep knitting like I was? Ignore all decrease steps and decrease stitches on my own? Or should I just try to find a pattern that used the loop? So many questions! :thinking:

You can ignore the part that says to switch to DPNs. Continue with the pattern decreases, if it’s using DPNs as markers you could add markers where needed.

You’ll be doing everything the pattern says to do except switch needles. The numbers can all remain the same. What weight yarn are you going to use? I can find another pattern that does use magic loop if it’s easier.

Thanks for both of these great answers! Jan, I have to finish the neck warmer I’m doing before I start this. So I don’t know the yarn weight and I’d love to see a pattern if you find one. That sounds like a great idea, using a pattern for my first try.

Well phooey. Can’t find a specific hat. It’s really just a technique which is probably why I can’t find a good pattern. So really once you learn you can use it for anything knit in the round whether it’s socks, hats, pullovers, cup cozies, etc. When you’re ready we’ll deal with it.

As Jan says, this is a technique so you can use it for most patterns knit in the round. You’ll see patterns that say, “work in magic loop or with 2 circs or with dpns, as you prefer…” I was looking for a video tutorial but there is this from Liat that may help.

I saw that one, @salmonmac, but IIRC she uses single or traveling loop rather than traditional magic loop. Nothing wrong with that though if you find it easier @pslane. She must have more stitches on her needles for hats than I do because I don’t have a problem with a 40".

Actually, it doesn’t seem any different than any other of dozens of hat patterns to me. There don’t seem to be any special instructions for magic loop but maybe it just makes your point: magic loop is a technique and doesn’t really require a specific pattern.

No, it really doesn’t. It’s just a technique you can use on any (or most) seamless project in the round. I’ve given my basic “recipe” I use for hats in the forum and that’s really all you need.

Looking forward to trying this but I would prefer the other videos near the top of this thread. I’ll stick with the basic 2 loop. If I mess up it won’t be the first time I’ve had to start over. I can start choosing which hat I’ll make but still have about 10 inches to go on this cowl, which is knitted with the smallest yarn I’ve ever used! I have lots of Bernat Softee Chunky so I’ll probably try to find a hat pattern that used that weight yarn. I love Softee Chunky!

Does this look like one that could be done easily with the magic loop? I found this on ravelry.

Yes, I think that would be great! :+1:

I had a basic hat pattern a couple years ago. I found it on a website. It allows you to enter in your gauge and needle size as well as the size hat you want to make and how snug you want it to be. It includes sections for a lining, ear flaps and the decreases for the crown. When I get off work, I’ll locate my printout for the web address and post a link.

2 Likes

Here’s the website to the patten:

http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/Hats/HKEarflapHat.html

3 Likes