Question about steam blocking

Hi! I just finished a scarf for my dad for Christmas, and I just have to do a knit border around it. I decided to block it before the border to make sure it was all even, and went with a steam blocking.

My question is, should the scarf be wet after a steam blocking or just need to cool down? I did the blocking, and my scarf is nowhere near wet, just maybe slightly damp. I can’t get my iron to consistently put out steam (I have to press a button to do it), so am wondering if that’s the problem. Should I be okay, or should I wet block it instead?

TIA, and happy holidays! :woot:

What kind of yarn is it? That makes a difference.
If it’s wool, some other animal fiber or a blend, let it dry overnight with the pins in it and see if it looks the way you want it to. If not, you can wet-block it. There’s not really a right or wrong–it’s the effect you want.

If it’s acrylic, you might want to get it a little more damp and let it dry pinned, but the blocking isn’t as important.

If you get in a hurry, a hair dryer on low heat/high fan speed will do a good job on either fiber. Cotton and wool can be dried with the heat up, for that matter. If there’s a really stubborn section, you can dampen it and pull it the way you want with one hand while you hold the dryer with the other.

The yarn is wool blended with some silk and alpaca. I’ve steamed it already and it’s completely dry, but I was thinking of leaving it overnight anyway. If it’s not holding its shape, should I try wet blocking it then?

You could, or you could wait till you get the border on. Since it’s got the wool and alpaca in it, you want to treat it gently. It may not hold a shape if the yarn is very soft or lightly spun, but that won’t hurt its appearance or warmth.

If your iron isn’t cooperating, you can pin it out, lay a damp cloth over it and barely touch the cloth with the iron.