Question About Sock Pattern

Hi Everyone!

Finally back to knitting after my Spring semester of Grad School - beyond thrilled, I have so many projects. I have a quick question.

I’m knitting a pair of socks toe up (scary - never done this before). Here are the basic instructions for the toe.

Row 1 (WS): Purl
Row 2: k1, ssk, k to last 3 st, k2tog, k1

Rep 1+ 2 until 8 stitches remain in toe.

OK got all that part down! Then it says, work second half of the toe as follows:

Row 3: Purl
Row 4: Pick up and knit 1 st from first half of toe, knit to end, pick up and knit 1 st from first half of toe.

Rep Row 3 & 4 until there are 24 sts on the needle.

Eek, can anyone help with row 4? Does it mean pick up and knit 1 stitch from first half and then second half (in which case it’d be a misprint). Am I picking up stitches on the side? In the middle of the row? Just from the first half?

For the record, this is a pattern from [I]Knitting Lingerie[/I] Style by Joan McGowan-Michael.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help, or even if you can’t. Hope you have a great day.

Elizabeth

I’ve never seen a pattern for toe up like that. :??I just use a turkish cast on. Hope someone here can help!

I’ve seen toe up socks that start that way, but I’ve never done it like that.

Are you starting with a provisional cast on of 20 stitches? I think something like that - then you are working basically from the base of your toe, decreasing down to 8 stitches (tip of toes), then picking up at each side to ‘join’ and increasing back up to the 20 or however many you cast on at the beginning.

I would start out totally differently, probably Judy’s Magic Cast on
http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html and increasing until I had the total # of stitches needed to start the pattern.