Question about sock pattern

I’m making a sock using a pattern in Sensational Knitted Socks. The pattern repeat is 6 stitches, and I have cast on 66 stitches total. When I get to the heel, it says to use 33 stitches. However, after the heel is done and I return to the pattern, I have 33 stitches for the instep. Since 33 is not divisible by 6, how am I supposed to continue the pattern - I will be short 3 stitches for the pattern repeat. The instructions are not clear about that at all. I know there are a lot of sock knitters around here - how would you handle this? Thanks.

Personally, I would dink with the pattern a bit. I think I’d use 32 stitches for the heel, leaving 34 for the instep – but before I strated the heel I’d make sure things were centered so I could k2, do 5 pattern repeats, k2 for the instep. Does that make any sense? :smiley:

Yes Julie that does make sense. I knew I had to dink with it, but I wasn’t sure how. I was thinking of just using 30 stitches for the heel, but it might be too small that way. It’s a little annoying that they didn’t explain what to do in the book but I guess it’s helping me learn a lot about socks. Thanks for your help.