Question about sizing cotton socks

Hey all,

I wanted to make some Christmas slipper socks with jingle bells for my nieces and nephews. I chose a cotton yarn for the socks because all the kids live in pretty warm climates and I thought wool or acrylic would make their feet too hot. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips about using cotton and sizing for socks? The kids are all three so they are theoretically sort of in between the sizes recommended on this website:

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/footsize.html

I wasn’t sure if I should keep the socks a little on the small size so that they can stretch out to their feet (since I’ve read that sometimes cotton sags). On the other hand, I always read about how inelastic cotton is so I wonder if it needs to be a little more ‘roomy’. Any advice is very welcome.

I wouldn’t use cotton to knit socks. It has very little memory and will stretch out. If you are set on using cotton, try to find some with acrylic in it or maybe elastic.

Thanks for the advice. I already have the yarn purchased for the project though, and it wasn’t particularly easy to find cheap cotton blend yarn in the colors I would like. I’ll check out the LYS though and see what I find. I don’t want to spend a ton of money on some fun socks that will probably only be worn for a few hours around Christmas this year.

I was still sort of curious about knitting with cotton versus other materials. For example, if I chose to knit a cotton jacket instead of a wool jacket, would I still knit to the same gauge or aim a little smaller to leave room for stretch?

For a full sweater, I am not fond of using pure “dish-cloth” cotton. It gets very heavy. As for the slipper-socks, though, I would do it. . .just knit in a very tight gauge to avoid the stretching out issue. I would also just knit slippers, in other words, very little or no cuffs. These would be great, because they’ve got a tie to hold them on, they’re meant for thick ‘n’ quick yarn, but in a worsted cotton will come out much smaller, especially when using thin needles so as to get a tight gauge: http://www.mylifetime.com/lifestyle/home-crafts/craft-ideas/needle-arts/moccasin-slippers.