Question about "set-up row"

Hi there! I was going to try this sweater about a month ago, but I just bought yarn for it today (it’s the Manly Sweater from Stitch 'n Bitch). Anyway, the pattern says this:
[COLOR=“DarkGreen”]
Set-up row: K3, p1, *k5, p1; rep from * to last 3 sts, k3.
Work in k5, p1 rib as set for 18".[/COLOR]

Does that mean that for every subsequent row after the set-up row, I do this:
K3, p1, *k5, p1; rep from * to last 3 sts, k3 (same as set-up row)

…or does it mean that for every subsequent row after the set-up row, I do this:
*K5, p1; rep from *

What does “as set” mean?

Thanks in advance! :smiley:

I think it would mean for every row after that you follow the rib pattern that was established… and that mean knit the knit sts, purl the purl sts [B]as they appear on the row that you’re working on.[/B] That last is very important - forget what you did to the st on the row before, look at the sts on each row - when you see a knit st, knit it, when you see a purl st, purl it. The knits are Vs and the purls look like an n - sorta…

Okay, so basically I want to make sure it all looks the same to establish the ribbing? So go ahead and follow the 3,1, 5,1, 3 pattern (whether knitting or purling)?

Suzeeq…you are so awesome! Every time I have a question, you have a great answer! Thanks so much. :smiley: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

On the second row, you would p3, k1, p5, p1, etc, to the last 3 sts, where you p3.

Then repeat those 2 rows. Yes the 5x1 rib pattern repeats, but don’t forget the 3 sts on each end.

Thank you so much! :smiley: :muah: :muah: :muah: