Question about ribbing

Hey there,
I’m trying out my first hat, and was a little confused about ribbing. Namely, if I’m doing knit 1, purl 1, what happens when i get to the end of the row? If I end in a knit stitch, should I start up the next row in a knit stitch? Or a purl stitch?
Thanks
~Lucy

If you are doing ribbing on straight needles (regular ole’ back and forth knitting), if your last stitch of a row was a purl, you will KNIT the first stitch on the next row. Likewise, if your last stitch was a knit, you will purl the first stitch on the next row.

I should mention as well…if you are by chance working your hat ‘in the round’ (ie. using circular needles or double pointed needles) then the opposite will be true. Say you are doing 12 rounds of K1, P1 ribbing. When working in the round, you will start each round with a knit stitch. I hope that isn’t confusing…it doesn’t seem to be coming out right. Good luck and shout if you need more help.

Awesome–thanks for such a speedy reply! I was so anxious to start working on my hat, and now I can! I am, however, only using straight needles, as I only learned how to knit a couple weeks ago. Someday though!
Thanks again!

The easiest way to think about it is to work the sts AS THEY APPEAR. So, knit the knits and purl the purls. :thumbsup: