Question about making hats

Hi all,

I have a question. I’m about to attempt to knit my first hat, and I wanted to clarify a few things before I started. Here we go!

1. I’m knitting it in the round, so I know that eventually I’ll have to switch to DPNs. Would it be easier just to start with them in the first place? Or should I start on circs and switch to DPNs when I need to start decreasing?

2. The template/pattern I’m using says to knit a gauge swatch first. Once I’ve knit and measured that, can I frog it and then re-knit it into the hat?

3. I’ve never used DPNs before. Any tips? Am I being too ambitious to try this? I have knit in the round before…I made a booga bag on circs.

Phew! That’s all (for now). :teehee:

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!!

A hat is the perfect place to learn to use dpns. The hardest part of dpns is getting started. With a hat, your stitches are already established and it makes it so, so much easier.

You absolutely can frog and use the yarn from your swatch.

Thanks Ingrid! So just to be 100% clear, you’d recommend starting on circular needles, and then switching (and dividing the stitches evenly) on DPNs?

I’m excited to start! Wish me luck. :smiley:

Yes, start on the circular until you can’t easily fit the stitches after the first few decrease rows, then switch to dpns.