Question about circular knitting

I’m still pretty new to knitting and seem to have some weird issues.

When knitting on a circular needle, is it normal for the project to be inside-out? I had a recent issue with a mini stocking Christmas ornament (which was my first attempt at sock-like objects), but set that aside for a bit in frustration. Now I’m working on a bag and having my first attempt at knitting a striped pattern in the round, and the “right side” of the pattern is obviously on the inside, so that the project will have to be turned right-side out when I’m finished.

I don’t see that it’s going to be a problem, but it just seems weird and counter-intuitive, so I wonder if I’m doing something odd that I don’t realize. And I wonder if the bottom of the bag will be on the wrong side.

Here’s the link for what I’m doing, if that helps.
http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?ID=187024

Thanks for any insights.

Blessings,
Lisa R.

when you’re holding your knitting while knitting in the round, imagine that it’s the rim of a cup. Your needles (where you should be knitting) should be on the side closest to you, where you’d take a drink from. Or, Imagine it like a clock, you should be knitting at 12, or the top of the circle. I’m guessing that you’re knitting at 6 or the wrong side of the cup.

When you are ready to join your work in the round, make sure your ‘right side’ (knit side) is facing you or on the outside.

My guess is that you’re just starting to knit on the inside which is no drama really because all you’d have to do is turn it inside out as soon as you realize it.

:muah:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]Ah, isn’t it the other way? I knit at 6 o’clock. If I knit at 12 o’clock, I’d be knitting inside out. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]To knit right side out, with working needles held closest to your body[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]To knit inside out, with needles held farthest away from your body.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Sometimes when I start out, the tips are at the top, like 12 o’clock, but that’s usually just on the first few rows. Most of the time they’re closer to me, like the rim of the cup.

Thanks so much Lisa for posting this question. I’ve been having the same issue with my first pair of socks. Instead of coming on here and asking I just ditched the project(I’m having other problems with figuring out the pattern too):gah:

So will I be safe if I turn my sock rightside out now? I’ve already knitted about 8 inches of this sock.

And I have been knitting at 12 o’clock, so this makes sense.

That’s it! The cup analogy is great. I just flipped my bag right-side out and brought my needles toward me and voila! It’s working now (or at least it appears to be).

Now I can’t decide whether to finish the bag or go back and check out the mini stocking and see if that’s the problem!

kaytee, just flip your work inside out and you’ll be fine. Doesn’t matter how much of them you’ve knitted.