Question about "at same time"

I am new to the site and am knitting my first sweater in one piece. I am at a point where I have to do something “at the same time” and am clueless.

Here is how the pattern reads at this point of confusion:

Before continuing on the Right Front, read the section below that begins with ***

Rows 10: Knit 5, purl 44
Rows 11-18: Repeat Rows 9 and 1o
Row 19: Knit to last 4 stitches, bind off 2 stitches, knit 2
Row 20: Knit 2, cast on 2 stitches, k1, purl to end of row
Row 21-30: Repeat rows 9 and 10
Rows 31 and 32: Repeat Rows 19 and 20

***AT THE SAME TIME when sleeve measures 18 inches, end with a wrong side row.
SHAPE BODY
Next row (right side) : Bind off 18 stitches, knit 31. Continue to work in stockenette stitch, keeping 5 stitchesat front edge in garter stitch, until piece measures 11 in. from sleeve bind off row. Knit 8 rows for garter edging. Bind off.

I have no idea how to do two things at the same time.
Do I need another set of needles.
Do I alternate tasks?
Please, Please help if you can.

I don’t have a 100% clear idea of what is happening. I guess you are making the sleeves at the same time as you are working the rest somehow already? You have 49 stitches at the beginning of where you give the directions. Anyway when it says at the same time, it means that you need to think ahead and pay attention and begin to do this other part when your sleeve (or is it sleeves) are 18 inches long. Keep doing the first part (rows 10-32) and watch the sleeve length. When it reaches 18 inches and you have just completed a wrong side row you will need to begin to the shape the body as well as keep doing what you were (although it won’t be as wide anymore). When you measure the sleeve and it is 18 inches, if you have just done a right side row, do one more row, or you could stop a bit short of 18 if that seems better, but as close to 18 inches as you can get and end on a wrong side row is where you need to be.

You now shape the body. You will be at the beginning of a right side row. Bind off 18 stitches and knit 31 (this accounts for the 49 you had at the beginning), you don’t add other needles or anything you just work at the beginning of the row and get rid of 18 of the 49 you had. You can keep following the directions for rows 10-32 where ever you were in that sequence because the changes you make there are at the other end of the row from where you did the bind off of 18. (It looks like row 10 above is a wrong side row) You keep making the 5 stitches of garter at the front.

It says to keep working until you are 11 inches from the sleeve bind off row. Maybe there is something after row 32 that you haven’t given. I don’t see how this part fits in from what you have said, but I think you didn’t tell us everything.

After you have finished row 32, of the above part you gave, you go on to whatever it gives next and then keep going until you are 11 inches past where you bound off the sleeves. Then knit 8 rows of garter edging and bind off. If there is not anything else given after row 32, I could be all wrong about this.

At the same time means that the two tasks will overlap. You will still be doing the first part and then at a certain point you will begin to do the next thing, but keep doing the first part as well.

THat is somewhat clearer.
I appreciate it.

I am actually working on the shaping of the neck when it calls for “at the same time” for the shaping of the body.

I am one inch from the sleeve being 18 inches. Should I proceed with the binding off and then in the next row cont. with the rows above?

I’m sorry for my lack of clarity. My toddler doesn’t leave much space in the brain for that anymore.

Thanks again for your help.