Question about a shrug

I’m making this shrug. This is my first sweater type thing. I’m confused about the sleeves. Here’s the part that I’m having trouble understanding:
Work even until sleeves measure 5” above last group of cast-on sts, end on WS. Mark beg and end of last row for fold line. Work even until sleeves measure 5” above markers, end on WS.
Now I know my question is probably stupid, but I’m wondering, am I supposed to work the sleeves seperately, or am I to go on knitting the whole thing normally after I’ve cast on? As I said, I’m new to making garments like this so, I’m a bit lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :slight_smile:

This is knit in one piece so the sleeves are part of the sts and its not a ‘normal’ construction. You begin at the front, and after working for 12" will inc a few sts then CO to make the sleeves. Work for 5" and mark both ends of that row - use a safety pin, or paper clip or short piece of yarn in a different color. That will be the top of the shoulder. Then work another 5" and you BO and dec the sleeve sts and finish up the back.

This is so cute! Thanks for sharing.

Suzee, just want to make sure that I have correctly. After I cast on those stitches, I will just continue working the row like normal, just with the added stitches? Just want to make sure that I have you correctly before I get to that part of the pattern. Thanks so much for your help! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome. :slight_smile: I’ve been wanting to make this for a few years now, so I’m finally doing it.

Yes, just work over all the stitches for a total of 10" from the cast on, then you BO just the sleeve sts.

Ok, thank you so much Suzee. I just wanted to make sure that I had it right in my head before I get to that part which should be pretty soon. I’ll post some pics in a little while for ya’ll to see. :slight_smile: Thanks again!!! :muah: :hug:

Another question. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a cast on for the sleeves? Thanks again!!! :slight_smile:

The knit or cable cast on will be good as you need to seam them up later.

Okie doke, thank you so much Suzee!!! You have been a big help, as always!! :slight_smile: