Puzzled with several questions

Okay here’s the situation: I want to make a circular scarf with 63 stitches on dpns. Also I want to do the provisional cast on so that I can later use the kitchener stitch to graft the cast on edge together. Also I plan to use the 3-needle bindoff.

Questions:
[ul]1. Is it possible to do the kitchener stitch and the 3 needle bindoff with an uneven number of stitches? All the examples I’ve seen so far for both stitches indicate the stitches be divided equally onto 2 needles, which is not possible for 63 stitches.
[/ul]
[ul]2. Also is it even possible to do a provisional caston with dpns?
[/ul]
[ul]3. Since Amy’s example of provisional cast on twists every other stitch and should be knitted tbl, how will this affect the kitchener stitch I want to use on the cast on edge?
[/ul]

Thanks for your help. One of these days, I might even learn enough to answer some questions for members of this website. :wink: Already I have found the information here to be invaluable. :thumbsup:

P.S. If these questions have already been answered, just point me to the right place.

I’m not sure where you want to do the Kitchener stitch and where you want to do the 3np. Why not just do 3nb on both ends, since you’ll have live stitches at both ends. You could put 32 on one needle and 31 on the other, and somewhere, maybe either on the first stitch or in the middle, or at the end, just knit two from one needle and one from the other to have them come out even.

For the provisional cast on, doing it on one straight needle and then knitting from that onto your dpns might work better than trying to do it directly on the dpns.

Thanks, Ingrid. Here’s what I mean:

I want to knit a circular scarf on dpns. Since I want to close up the bottom or cast on edge after the scarf is knitted, I thought the provisional caston appropriate. I’m not knitting anymore rows at the cast on edge; I just want to close it up by grafting also called kitchener stitch.

At the end of the scarf, again I want to close up the end edge. The 3 needle bind off will do this.

So I want to use the kitchener stitch at the cast on edge and the 3 needle bind off at the bind off edge. Both close up either end of the scarf.

I’ve never done a circular scarf before so this part is all new to me. So I may have something wrong in my theory here about how to close up the ends of the scarf. If so, how else does everyone close up both ends of their circular scarves?

My particular problems seem to be that my pattern calls for an uneven number of stitches so that dividing the stitches evenly onto two needles is impossible (an apparent requirement for kitchener and 3 needle bind off).

Also I’m still uncertain as to whether the kitchener stitch can be used to close up the ends of a provisional cast on since ever other stitch is twisted. I won’t be knitting or purling tbl in the twisted stitches; I will just be closing the beginning edge. The kitchener stitch seems confusing enough without the additional worry of how to work the twisted stitches.

I hope this makes enough sense so that someone can help me solve my dilemna. :??

Ingrid means that you would close up both ends with the 3 needle bind off. Since you will have the beginning end on scrap yarn or what ever you used in the provisional cast on, you would do a 3 needle bind off at the end, then go back to the beginning end and re-insert your needles onto the provisional stitches, then do another 3 needle bind off. As far as the number of stitches, I don’t see a particular problem with increasing or decreasing 1 stitch in the last round to make it an even number.

Yup, that’s what I meant. My computer at home died, so I couldn’t explain further. If you do a Kitchener st at one end and a 3nb on the other,the ends won’t match at all. If you do 3np on both, then they’ll look the same. You won’t have to knit anything else on the beginning edge, just pick up the stitches from the provisional and bind them back off again.

Yeah! Now I understand what you meant, Ingrid. Thanks too April. I’m going to try it the way you’re both suggesting. :thumbsup:

Your scarf will go a lot faster if you use a circular needle, rather than dpns. Just a suggestion.

Hi Sara. thanks for the tip. I realize that using a circular needle would be faster as I have used those to knit circularly. However the scarf only has about 63 stitches so I think it may be too few stitches for a circular needle unless I find one a really short one.

Anyway I was thinking that knitting with dpns is a good skill to learn for now and for my future knitting. And sometimes I just want to try something new and different for fun. If the dpns prove too contrary for me, I’ll probably do as you suggest just so I can get the scarf done!

Joyce