PURLING for stockinette with unfinished row?

I have been working on knitting a pair of mittens for Christmas and am still a beginner to the knitting community. Now I figured out how to do everything fine until the instructions said to K14 and then begin purling a row for stockinette… How am I to do that when after knitting there are still 17 stitches on my left needle??
Here’s what the instructions say:
"11th row: K27. Turn. Cast on 1 st. P13 (including cast on st). Turn. Cast on 1 st. K14.
***Beg with a purl row, work 9 rows in stocking st."
I knitted my 14 stitches after casting on and still have stitches left on my left needle…Am I just supposed to purl the rest and then knit the next row completely or what?
Please help!

It sounds like you’re working short rows. What is your pattern and can you please post a link to it? Seeing it would be helpful.

I am working on a pair of boucle mittens, here is the link with all the information on it. :slight_smile:
I was currently working on Row 11!

11th row: K27. Turn. Cast on 1 st. P13 (including cast on st). Turn. Cast on 1 st. K14.
***Beg with a purl row, work 9 rows in stocking st.
Next row: (K2tog) 7 times. Break yarn. Thread end through rem sts. Draw up and fasten securely. Sew thumb seam. With RS of work facing, join yarn to last st on right hand needle. Pick up and knit 2 sts at base of thumb. Knit across sts on left hand needle. 34 sts.

You’re making the thumb and so working on part, not all, of your stitches. Just do as it says. You’ll knit the 27 stitches it says to, cast on 1, turn and purl the stitch you just cast on and another 12. You can use the backward loop or knit cast on. If you check the free videos tab at the top of the page there are videos for the various cast ons.

You’ll just ignore the rest of the stitches until the thumb is finished. It might be easier if you move the them to a holder, you can thread some waste yarn onto a needle and slip them onto the needle and pull the yarn through.

HTH