Purl stitch and Knit stitch on Same Row?

How do I knit a stitch, then a purl stitch, then repeat it again on the same row? I am trying to make a Harry Potter scarf for a friend and the instruction read: [B]1 knit, 1 purl - repeat until the end of the needle (it must end in a knit stitch); turn around and knit the same - 1 knit, 1 purl. [/B] . Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, what does [B]Always slip the 1st stitch in a row off, purl-wise, and knit the last stitch[/B] mean? :slight_smile:

Check out this video for your first question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR2-23rOi0I

And as for slipping the first stitch, here’s another demonstration:

freddowntown, Thank you! :woohoo: :knitting:

You move the yarn from back to front to back between the needles so it’s in the front for the purls and in back for the knits. The first stitch will be slipped as if you were going to purl it, but the yarn can be in back, just move the stitch from the L to the R needle, and the last stitch will always be knit on every row.

Hi,
I am fairly new to knitting but with the yarn behind knit one stitch, then move the yarn to the front to purl then next stitch. Make sure you them move the yarn to the back to knit the following stitch and so on.
Afraid I can’t help you with the other question

A Harry Potter scarf. That’s a change from the Dr. Who scarves we’ve been seeing lately. I think this is a cool project. You might find the videos herehelpful. The Demo of a Small Project is a good one to watch for seeing how all the things you’re doing work together.