PSSO vs slipping

What is the difference? This is what the pattern calls for
1st rnd: (K2tog. K44. Sl1. K1. psso) I thought that slipping and PSSO were the same?

PSSO means pass slipped st over. You’re making a decrease - slip a st, knit 1, then pass the sl st over the knit 1.

Not quite the same, since psso is ‘pass slipped st over’. So you have to slip a st from left to right needle before you can actually pass it over, if that makes sense. Some patterns might just put psso and specify at the beginning that it means the whole process, but mostly they tell you to sl, k, then psso.

Thanks that does help. I feel so stupid asking these simple questions.:aww:

But if you didn’t know what it means, you’re not stupid, just unknowlegeable. There’s a really big difference. :slight_smile:

I’m of the school of thought that there are “no stupid questions”. You needed to know and you asked. Now you know :smiley:

I was going to post a question that I think is partly addressed in this thread. When I slip a stitch that’s going to be passed over, should I slip it knit-wise or purl-wise? Also, what about slipping a stich before a YO? I know that slipping purl-wise is the norm, but are these the exceptions? Thanks.

When a slip stitch is part of a decrease you slip knitwise. How is the pattern written that you slip before a YO?

Oops, sorry, it’s YO before the slip stitch, not the other way around. Here’s Row 1 for the pattern (Lace and Cables):

Row 1 (rs): K1, *YO, sl 1, K1, psso, K1, k2tog, YO, K6; rep from * to last 6 sts, YO, sl 1, K1, psso, K1, k2tog, YO, K1. I was bringing the yarn to the front, as I would for a YO between two knit stitches, then slipping knit-wise.

A yo is made just like you would a knit st, except the right needle isn’t inserted into the sts on the left needle. So knit 1, bring the yarn to the front and over the needle, slip 1 st, knit 1 st, psso and so on. Just make sure you pass the slip st over the knit 1 and not the YO.