Provisional cast on trouble

OK, all… i’m trying to make these in the toddler size, however, lets call it lack of sleep, i seem stumped.

This is the first time I have done a provisional cast on, and I’m using the KNoon method, of crocheting onto the needle. My first question is, once i’ve made the provisional cast on and start knitting with my actual yarn, is there any preferred method for attaching said yarn, rather than starting to just knit (which as you all can guess, leads to a very loose first stitch)?

Secondly - and this is what has me really bamboozled, i just can’t seem to get the logic in my head… I’ve knit up to row 5, but my head keeps telling me i can’t be doing it right.

[i]Toe
Using Provisional Cast On, CO 15 sts.

Row 1 [RS]: K14, w&t.
Row 2 [WS]: P13, w&t.
Row 3 [RS]: K12, w&t.
Row 4 [WS]: P11, w&t.
Row 5 [RS]: K10, w&t.
Row 6 [WS]: P9, w&t.
Row 7 [RS]: K8, w&t.
Row 8 [WS]: P7, w&t.[/i]

K. The first line says to Knit 14 of the 15 stitches, then to wrap and turn. Wouldn’t this result in me wrapping the outside of the work? I’ve always been told that a wrap and turn involves slipping the next stitch onto the right needle, wrapping, then placing it back onto the left needle, turn and work. I just can’t seem to acccept that it would mean the outside of the piece is wrapped. Is this right?

I’m also not counting the first row i knit as the first row, i’m kinda counting it as the cast on which has been knitted off the provisional, cause if i count this as the first row, it would have me wrapping the alternately coloured crocheted row i placed on my needles. This is the first time i have really been stumped. I would just keep going, but i wanted to check my ‘reference book’ (you!) before i kept going.

I hope that i’m making sense here :shrug:

I think you were right to work one row in your ‘real’ yarn so you wouldn’t w&t the provisional cast on. I would wrap that edge stitch since that’s what they call for. When you’re all done with the wraps, you will knit them with their stitch, so you’ll pick it up again. I’ve never been called on to wrap the first stitch, but I’d give it a shot. Just my 2 cents.

For the first stitch, try knitting with the yarn and the tail for a stitch and then treat the double loop as a single stitch. That will secure the first stitch.

thanks Ingie… that’s what i thought, well was doing anyway… so I’ll keep going and see how it comes out :hug: