Provisional Cast-On Conundrum

I am trying to knit a sweater for my daughter and I’m stumped. I’ve never done provisional cast-on before and, after a lot of trial and error, I finally figured it out. The sweater pattern starts from the top and goes down. It basically told me to cast on 27 stitches for the front and, eventually, I was to get to 99 at which point I knit until the armhole measures 5 inches. Then I was supposed to put those stitches on a holder and start on the back with 27 stitches. When I got to 99 stitches for the back, I was supposed to knit until the armhole measures 5 inches. I did all this, but this is where I’m stuck. For the row I’m on, I’m supposed to knit the 99 stitches for the back and then provisional cast on 6 stitches for the arm; then the pattern says to knit the 99 stitches in the pattern for the front. I think I’m somehow supposed to knit the stitches that I put on the holder. My question is this: how do I knit those stitches onto my current needle when the stitch holder itself is some ten inches below the needle I’m currently working with? I feel as if I would have to fold the sweater on itself in order to reach that stitch holder. I’m so confused! Am I doing this right? Am I even on the right track? I have torn this sweater out so many times and knitted it so many different ways, and this seems like the most logical up until this point. Please help!

Welcome the KH!
What is the name of your pattern?
From the directions you mention, it seems that the front and back are the same. Cast on 27, inc to 99, knit until the armhole is 5 inches. I’d expect front and back to measure the same.
Are the increases different for front and back? The armholes measure 5 inches front and back so that shouldn’t be where the difference in length is.

Good for you for working out a provisional cast on. That’s always handy to know how to do.

First of all, thank you for your reply to my post. Second of all, I don’t think I’m explaining this correctly and I apologize for that. Yes, the front and back are the same length. I knitted the 99 stitches for the front first so that was 5 inches; then I put those stitches on the holder and started knitting the back from the provisional stitches at the bottom of the front. I think the point of using provisional stitches is so that I don’t have to sew all the pieces of the sweater together at the end. Then I knitted the 99 stitches for the back. I mentioned the 10 inches because I added the front and the back together since they’re attached to each other. My problem is that, now that I’ve reached the point where I need to pick up the stitches from the stitch holder to knit the front of the sweater, the stitches on the needle (the stitches for the back) are so far away from the stitches on the stitch holder, I don’t know how it’s possible to add them to the work already on my needle. I tried and the work just ended up being a twisted mess, not looking like a sweater at all. FYI, the name of the pattern is: Gentle Rain Pullover. It is in the Spring 2021 issue of the magazine Interweave Knits. Any help would be so greatly appreciated; thanks again.

You’re going to fold the back and front over at the 27stitch shoulder cast ons.
It’ll look like the yoke of a sweater. Does that work with the sts on your needle and holder?
IMG_2786

Thank you so much for your response. The diagram was especially helpful; I’m a visual learner, so I always do better when I have a detailed picture to work off of. I had a feeling that’s what the directions meant, but it’s nice to have my suspicions confirmed. Now that I can picture the result in my head, I think I’m going to start from scratch with that goal in mind. I’ll let you know how it goes.

2 Likes