Problems with lines in my knitting

I’m sure this is a tension issue, but everytime I un-knit and start over again I still get the same line through my knitting. I have tried to adjust my tension, but I still get the same line going through. I rarely have this problem, but it’s here now and I’m not sure what else to do.

Thx in advance for your help!

Is there any way you can post a picture? I’m not sure I understand what you are referring to…

Sorry, I don’t have a digital camera yet, but basically it’s a line that goes through the work horizontally. It looks like my tension is just to tight probably when I purl.

Is the line in one place or every time you purl? In other words are you getting those horizontal lines through the piece or in only one place?

I got a line like that once and I was confused but realised I had actually made a small stitch error at the beginning of the line and it simply gave a different structure and look (that came out like a ‘line’). It’s really only if you’re finding many lines occurring that you can perhaps better identify whether its a tension problem or a stitching one.

Lines can also be created if you’ve left knitting on needles for a long time.

Yeah it looks like the line is there every other line, which makes since that it is probably a tension issue. It’s definately not because I have left the knitting on the needle sitting cause I’m knitting mostly everyday. Thx for the help though, I’ll just try to manage my tension better.

Ok…so…it’s either tension…or…could you be doing the purling differently than what is intended? Like, you do take the loop from the front of the needle and not the back say?
If you’re doing the purling correctly (as you probably are) then it must be a tension issue indeed. You’ll soon know as you work to deliberately loosen. If the lines then still appear I would return to seeing if your purling technique is correct.

You said:

So it only happens when you’ve frogged and then start again? That happens to me, sometimes. It seems to only happen if I frog back to a purl row, though. If I frog and then start re-knitting with a knit row, I don’t have the weird spacing. :shrug:

It sounds like you may be rowing out. Article with pic and possible solutions [COLOR=“RoyalBlue”][B]here[/B][/COLOR]. Nona also talks about it and has pic [COLOR=“RoyalBlue”][B]here[/B][/COLOR] - scroll down to April 18th entry.

Thanks ya’ll, it looks like it’s worse than I thought. I was really hoping someone would say blocking would be the answer, but if my work will look this bad after all is said and done, I am going to have to re-learn knitting or something. I have ripped this thing back a few times and I still have those unsightly lines. I guess it might be a good idea to maybe start on another project and see if maybe that wont do the trick.

Thanks for all the replys I think its because I am knitting with cotton. Still though, I think I need to develop my skills and therefore it wont matter what I knit with it will always be fabulous.