Problem

I have a little issue and I hope no one gets upset with me. I kinda don’t understand the meaning of the gauge, I really don’t understand what it is for.

Sorry,

~Jak :oops:

well let’s see here,
Let’s say you wanted to knit a sweater for a little girl and you found this wonderful thick n fluffy yarn. Then you found a pattern you liked but it’s for a much thinner yarn. Now if you were to knit the item using the thick yarn in place of the thin yarn using the same exact directions . You would probably get a very short sweater that would fit a gorilla.:guyknitting: :whistle:
Hence the importance of gauge. :thumbsup:
It’s there so that you can duplicate what the designer of the pattern had done.:knitting:

And you would get the right size of sweater n such.

Also it’s there so that you can sub out one yarn for another but making sure that you would get the same size results as the designers yarn.:slight_smile:
Hope that helps ya!!!:thumbsup:

OR… If you were making a sweater that you wanted to end up being 36 inches and had a pattern that said work to a gauge of 5 sts=1in. and around the sweater had 180 stitches.

If you were getting a gauge of 6 sts=1n. and thought, "That’s close and followed the same pattern your sweater would only measure 30 inches when done.

If you got 4 sts= 1in and thought, “That’s close to 5, no problem.” You sweater would work out to be 45 inches when done.

A little goes a long ways when repeated over and over. However on things that don’t need to fit, like scarves or dish clothes, it is not so important.

Oh ok I get it now, nice. Thanks ladies. :yay: :grphug:
~Jak

gauge = evil necessity (okay, many don’t think it is “evil” but I hate doing gauge…but have to)

:zombie: Yeppers, astonh, I agree,
It’s right up there with mammograms and ingrown toenail removal.:noway: :waah: :roflhard: :roflhard:

ewww, hahaha!!!:roflhard: